Belfast man admits city rioting charge

editorial image

A 20-year-old Belfast man has appeared in the city’s Crown Court where he admitted rioting in the city last summer.

Robert Darragh, from Hopewell Crescent in the Shankill area of Belfast, was charged with a single count of rioting on July 13 last year.

When the charge of “riotously assembling together with others” was put to Darragh, he responded by saying “guilty”.

His barrister Michael Boyd asked for a pre-sentence report to be compiled on his client.

Judge Gordon Kerr QC agreed to this and told Darragh he would be sentenced on April 7.

Releasing Darragh on bail, Judge Kerr told him: “Do not take the fact you have been released on bail as an indication of the likely sentence you will receive.”