The family of a Bangor woman has been left devastated after the mother-of-three died in suspicious circumstances in Australia.
The PSNI last night issued a statement on behalf of the family of 39-year-old Comrie Cullen.
“Our family is devastated by Comrie’s tragic death and we would ask for no media intrusion at this time,” they said.
Specially trained officers are providing support to the family and are in contact with authorities in New South Wales about the investigation into her death and arrangements for her repatriation.
The estranged husband of Mrs Cullen has been taken into police custody.
Mrs Cullen, was found dead in a car park in Sydney on Wednesday.
She was discovered with severe trauma wounds to her upper body at an isolated anglers club and the man is under guard in hospital.
New South Wales Superintendent Gregory Antonjuk said the suspect, 50, was found leaving a swampy mangrove area nearby with significant injuries to his arms and upper torso.
“We have the understanding that they were married for a period of 15 to 16 years and as of late last year, around October, the couple became estranged and there were some domestic incidents related to that reported to police,” he told the Sydney Morning Herald.
“As a consequence of those reports, an apprehended violence order was issued by the courts.”
No further reports have been made to police since November.
A crime scene was established following the discovery of the woman’s body at the St George and Sutherland Shire Anglers Club at Taren Point.
“A male was located exiting the mangrove swamp area near the vicinity of the crime scene,” said Mr Antonjuk.
“That person exhibited significant injuries to his arms and upper torso. He was immediately taken into custody and conveyed to a local hospital where he currently remains under police guard pending further treatment and surgery.”
A PSNI spokeswoman said they were liaising with the family following the reports in Australia.
The Sydney Morning Herald said Mrs Cullen was due in court on Wednesday to attend a legal hearing with her estranged husband.
The paper reported that the couple split last October after a 15-year marriage during which they had three children, aged 5, 7, and 11, who are now in the care of friends.
It said that on Wednesday a passer-by found Mrs Cullen’s body in the car park.