Man accused of withholding information over killing

Paul McCauley
Paul McCauley

A 61-year-old English man has appeared in court accused of withholding information about the murder of Paul McCauley in Londonderry.

Charles Buckingham, of Nash Court Gardens, Margate, Kent, faces three charges of withholding information concerning an arrestable offence, namely murder and grievous bodily harm with intent.

The charge relates to an alleged incident on December 16, last year.

A defence barrister told Londonderry Magistrates Court there is “an issue” with the connection in the case and whether the court has jurisdiction to hear it.

He said the “crown evidence is that he [Buckingham] was in a car with a man called Gillen who told him of his involvement in a murder”.

The barrister claimed this conversation took place in Scotland and his client remained in either England or Scotland until his arrest.

District Judge Barney McElholm said the issue then was “if an offence was committed, where it was committed”.

Buckingham, who is a director of a large company in England, was released on bail and banned from having any contact with Piper John McClements or Matthew Gillen.

These two men are currently before the court charged with the murder of 38-year-old Mr McCauley.

Mr McCauley died last June, nine years after he was attacked at a barbecue on the Chapel Road in 2006.

Buckingham’s case was adjourned until June 8.

He has been excused from attending court on that occasion.