Man found naked had attacked ex-partner

Laganside Court Building
Laganside Court Building

A 52-year-old man who broke his ex-partner’s jaw during a drunken assault was yesterday remanded in custody.

Belfast Crown Court heard Maynard William David Jones, from Ardenwood in the city, attacked her on May 20, 2012.

A prosecutor told the court their relationship had ended, and at the time of the offence she had allowed him into her flat to sleep in the spare room.

Both Jones and his ex-partner had drink taken and at some stage he left the spare room and entered her bedroom, where he tried to be intimate with her.

When she refused, Jones responded by punching her several times in the face.

Crown prosecutor Tessa Kitson said the victim “felt like she was punched and kicked by 10 different people”.

During the attack, Jones put his hands around her throat and she felt she couldn’t breathe, forcing her to grab a knife and stab him in what the Crown say was “clearly an attempt to defend herself”.

When Jones stopped attacking her, the woman fled into the street, where she got a stranger to call her an ambulance. Police were contacted and Jones was arrested.

He pleaded guilty to a charge of causing grievous bodily harm with intent.

Telling the court the woman was “badly beaten” by Jones, Ms Kitson said the injured party sustained a fractured jaw in three places as well as facial bruising and an injury to her shoulder.

Defence barrister Taylor Campbell said his client had been drinking in a park prior to the incident, resulting in a poor recollection of the event but revealed that Jones “has always accepted what he did was unforgiveable”.

Mr Campbell said: “When the police came to the house they found him without any clothes on, sitting on the floor completely drunk.”

The defence barrister added that the injured woman “doesn’t bear him any ill will”.

After hearing both the plea and defence, Judge Donna McColgan remanded Jones in custody and will sentence him next Monday.