The Education Minister has confirmed that Newtownbreda/Knockbreda High School is to get a new build.
Minister John O’Dowd made the announcement following the conclusion of a Judicial Review brought by representatives of Newtownbreda High School in which the Judge dismissed the case.
“I am pleased to be able to include a new build for the combined Newtownbreda/Knockbreda High Schools which will provide state-of-the-art educational facilities for the young people of the area for many years to come,” he said.
The amalgamation was approved to take place on September 1, 2014, or as soon as possible thereafter - but following discussions with local representatives the SEELB and the Department of Education have agreed the amalgamation will be implemented from September 1, 2015.
The commitment of capital investment in East Belfast schools has been welcomed by Alliance East Belfast MLA, Judith Cochrane.
“Since the Education Minister announced earlier this year that Knockbreda and Newtownbreda High Schools would be amalgamating, I have had engagement with representatives from both schools and the Minister,” she said.
“I am keen that the best outcome for all children and young people is realised as part of this process, and I sense there is a genuine opportunity for these proposals to have a positive impact.
“I believe that our focus should now be trained on ensuring a smooth transition for all involved, regardless of individual positions, and I welcome the commitment from the Minister that capital funding will be in place for the building works required for the amalgamation.”