Final farewell to child who died after cliff fall

Logan Crawford, the child who died after falling from a cliff in Ballycastle on Sunday
Logan Crawford, the child who died after falling from a cliff in Ballycastle on Sunday

Coastguard crew members were among those gathering to bid a final farewell to Logan Crawford yesterday afternoon.

Mourners filed into Ballycastle Presbyterian Church for the seven-year-old’s funeral, which came three days after he fell from a clifftop in the north Antrim town of Ballycastle.

One of the requests from the family was for those in attendance to wear or bring items of pink – a favourite colour of his.

Two hymns were sung – The Lord is my Shepherd and God is Always Near Me – along with a favourite pop song of the tragic youngster.

His body was wheeled in a white coffin, and he was buried in the adjoining church cemetery.

Among the five-strong contingent from the Ballycastle Coastguard crew who attended was 42-year-old Paddy McMullan, who had overall charge of the huge rescue operation which attempted to save the boy’s life.

“What happened over the weekend, you can’t put into words,” he said. “We told ourselves we’d be going to show our support for the family.”

He said that they had put everything they had into the rescue, and that the aftermath of such events affects everyone differently.

“My heart is out there for the family,” he said.

“They’re a good wee couple. I hope they come through this strong together.

“I’m sure they will. They know we’re there for them.”

Ballycastle boy Logan is survived by his mother Charlieen, father Robin and two brothers – Leo and Orion.

The latter of the two had run to tell his mother about the incident after it happened.

They had been playing at the clifftops close to a caravan park near the junction of the Clare and Moyle Roads in the early evening on Sunday.

Logan tripped and fell, ending up at the base of the cliff.

The coastguard, RNLI, a specialist paramedic, police, the fire brigade and the Royal Navy were all dispatched to help locate him.

It was a Royal Navy helicopter which winched him up, and he was taken to the Causeway Hospital – but did not survive.

Mother Charlieen said he had never been to that spot before, and had heard about it from other children.

She did not wish to speak yesterday.

She had previously described Logan as having a zest for life, and said he had enjoyed great friendships with other children.

She added: “Thank you to everybody that has come up to us in the street, and sent messages to us. A big thank you, and we really appreciate it.”

Donal Cunningham, chairman of Moyle District Council, was among those at yesterday’s gathering.

As well as being a sad day for the town, he said it was also a day of pride.

“There were representatives from right across the community,” said the SDLP councillor.

“It was very touching... There was a bit of pride in the community; we did rally together and show the family how much we’re on their side, and that we’re there for them.”

He estimated that there would have been about 200 mourners there, and described it as a “very moving, very emotional” event.

The service helped to show “how much young Logan had put into his seven years”, and he added that the family recalled a “fun-loving, adventurous child”.

He acknowledged that the time ahead was going to be tough.

“That’s the big question – how we assist the family,” he said.

“It’s about helping them through the next coming days and weeks and months.”