Islamic State claims responsibility for Westminster terror attack

Emergency services personnel were quick to respond to the terror attack in Westminster.
Emergency services personnel were quick to respond to the terror attack in Westminster.

Islamic State has said it was behind yesterday’s attack on Westminster, which claimed the lives of three innocent people.

A’maq news agency, which is linked to the terror group, said: “A soldier for the Islamic State carried out the operation in answer to calls to target the people of coalition states.”

It comes as Prime Minister Theresa May revealed that attacker was British-born and known to the police and intelligence services.

In a statement to the Commons, Mrs May said he had been investigated some years ago over violent extremism but had been a “peripheral figure”.

Eight arrests in London and Birmingham followed Wednesday’s attack that left four dead - including the attacker.

Those killed by the attacker were PC Keith Palmer, Aysha Frade, who worked at a London college, and a man in his 50s.

Seven of the injured are still in hospital in a critical condition. A further 29 had been treated in hospital, police said.

The attacker drove a car at speed along Westminster Bridge, mowing down pedestrians and leaving dozens injured.

He then ran towards Parliament where he stabbed PC Palmer who was unarmed. Armed police then shot dead the attacker in the grounds.