Man dies after carbon monoxide poisoning

The scene of the carbon monoxide incident in Newcastle. Pic: Pacemaker
The scene of the carbon monoxide incident in Newcastle. Pic: Pacemaker

A 60-year-old man has died after an apparent case of carbon monoxide poisoning at a house in Newcastle, Co Down.

Police are investigating the circumstances surrounding the sudden death of the man who was found in a house on the Castlewellan Road on Friday night.

Five people, including two paramedics, were taken to hospital suffering the effects of carbon monoxide poisoning last night.

The Northern Ireland Ambulance Service said their crew had attended an incident at a property in Newcastle when they became unwell.

Four ambulances were sent to the incident.

The five people were taken to the Ulster Hospital in Dundonald.

South Down MP Margaret Ritchie said: “I was shocked and saddened to learn of the incident that unfolded in Newcastle last night. No one expects this kind of tragedy to descend upon their lives so suddenly and the family and friends of this man will be left utterly devastated. The thoughts and prayers of the entire community are with them today.

“Our thoughts are also with those still recovering in hospital including the two paramedics who were fell ill in their efforts to help others. We must never forget the daily risk our emergency services take to protect the public. Their bravery must be commended.

“This tragedy has thrown into sharp focus the danger posed by carbon monoxide and I urge everyone to ensure that they have a detector in the homes and that they test it regularly.”