New listed buildings have links to Van Morrison, loyalists, and more

Van Morrison fans at his concert on Cyprus Avenue in August 2015
Van Morrison fans at his concert on Cyprus Avenue in August 2015

Protestant churches and Van Morrison’s Cyrpus Avenue form part of a list of dozens of structures which have just been granted listed status in Belfast.

Among the other historic buildings listed are Fernhill House in Glencairn Park, at the upper north-west of the Shankill.

It was here that the Combined Loyalist Military Command – an umbrella grouping of the UVF, Red Hand Commando and UDA – announced it was joining the IRA in a ceasefire in 1994.

In a statement announcing the latest designations, Environment Minister Mark H Durkan said: “This is a real boost for Belfast. The listing of these buildings recognises the architectural and historic interest of a wide range of structures spanning over a century of the city’s development.

“The variety of buildings listed reflects the City’s diverse and varied history. From older and modern churches, graveyard monuments, pillar boxes and boundary posts, to a stableyard which is part of the outbuildings that once housed a Grand National winner and which was a community museum; they all have fascinating stories to tell.

“Listing these structures will ensure these important cultural assets are preserved and protected.

“The name of Cyprus Avenue may strike a chord with music fans but these buildings are listed purely due to their architectural and historic interest.

“This group of four houses were erected following the industrial expansion of the Belfast and the County Down Railway. They were designed by well known local architects Young and MacKenzie, best known for their work on buildings such as the former Robinson and Cleaver, and Anderson and McAuley department stores.”

These changes bring the total number of listed buildings in Belfast to 1,154.

The details, direct from the Department of the Environment:

HB26/13/43A

1 Stormont Cottages

Built c.1936 as one of a pair of villas for the superintendents of the Stormont Estate

HB26/13/43B

2 Stormont Cottages

Built c.1936 as one of a pair of villas for the superintendents of the Stormont Estate

HB26/14/21A

2 Cyprus Avenue

Well proportioned and detailed semi-detached house dating from c.1877 and attributed to well known local architects Young and McKenzie. The group of four houses, originally known as ‘Plevna Villas’ were erected following the industrial expansion of the Belfast and Co. Down Railway.

HB26/14/20A

4 Cyprus Avenue

Well proportioned and detailed semi-detached house dating from c.1877 and attributed to well known local architects Young and McKenzie. The group of four houses, originally known as ‘Plevna Villas’ were erected following the industrial expansion of the Belfast and Co. Down Railway.

HB26/14/20B

6 Cyprus Avenue

Well proportioned and detailed semi-detached house dating from c.1877 and attributed to well known local architects Young and McKenzie. The group of four houses, originally known as ‘Plevna Villas’ were erected following the industrial expansion of the Belfast and Co. Down Railway.

HB26/14/21B

99 Upper Newtownards Road

Well proportioned and detailed semi-detached house dating from c.1877 and attributed to well known local architects Young and McKenzie. The group of four houses, originally known as ‘Plevna Villas’ were erected following the industrial expansion of the Belfast and Co. Down Railway.

HB26/38/004A

Fernhill House (former People’s Museum), Glencairn Park

Designed in classical style, possibly with connections to the architect Robert Young, the building retains many original external and internal features all of which enhance the appearance of the building. It retains its original tree lined avenue approach and elevated setting.

HB26/38/004B

Fernhill House Outbuildings, Glencairn Park

An intact courtyard range of buildings associated with Fernhill House with which it forms an important group.

HB26/09/011 Pillar Box, in front of 159 Connsbrook Ave, Belfast

George VI Post box erected between 1936 and 1938 carrying its makers name Lion Foundry Co Ltd – Kirkintilloch.

HB26/11/005 Orangefield Baptist Church, North Road, Belfast

A fine example of ecclesiastical modernism – one of architect, Gordon McKnight’s most expressive designs.

HB26/11/009 Parliamentary Boundary Post, beside 14 Gilnahirk Road, Belfast

HB26/11/010 Parliamentary Boundary Post, between 44 &50 Gilnahirk Road

HB26/11/011 Parliamentary Boundary Post beside 109 Kings Road, Belfast

These three Parliamentary Boundary Posts mark the outer extent of the administrative jurisdiction of the former Belfast Corporation and of Pottinger District Electoral Division. It is of historical significance as a remnant of the first election in Britain and Ireland when nearly everyone (bar women under 30) had the right to vote.

HB26/12/049 Quarry House, 42 Quarry Road, Belfast

Well proportioned and detailed house constructed in 1912 to designs of Watt, Tulloch and Fitzsimmons with reference to the Arts and Crafts Style. Built on land owned by Frank Workman of Workman Clark and Co Ltd – at the time, Belfast’s second largest shipbuilder.

HB26/12/053 2-4 Belmont Road, Belfast

Originally commissioned by Braithwaite and McCann spirit dealers who owned one of the largest chain of public houses in Belfast. It has been used by various Unionist organisations during the twentieth century.

HB26/13/050 Cross of Sacrifice, Dundonald Cemetery, Belfast

HB26/25/001L Cross of Sacrifice, Belfast City Cemetery, Falls Rd, Belfast

War memorials, designed by Sir Reginald Blomfield, and erected by the Imperial War Graves Commission between 1927 and 1931 as a sombre reminder of the ultimate sacrifice given by the local people during World War 1.

HB26/13/052A Pavilion, Massey Ave, Stormont Estate, Belfast

HB26/13/052B Pavilion, Stormont Estate, Belfast

Neo-Georgian style pavilions constructed in 1936 to the designs of Arnold Thornley who was also the architect for the Parliament Buildings. These simple buildings have group interest with the other listed buildings in the Stormont Estate.

HB26/14/019 Bloomfield Pres Church, Beersbridge Road, Belfast

Interesting example of a Gothic Revival style church and hall which is a result of a number of phases of building work.

The original design of the church in 1897 was by James John Phillips and Son with the hall by Hobart and Heron added in 1925. The church has a fine interior.

HB26/38/001 Woodvale Presbyterian Church, Woodvale Road, Belfast

Large Presbyterian Church designed in 1899 by prominent local architects Young and Mackenzie. It has a fine setting overlooking Woodvale Park.

HB26/38/002B Woodvale Park Bandstand, Belfast

Bandstand dating from 1925, located in Woodvale Park, a typical Victorian park which dates from 1887 with gates, piers and railings to designs of architect, JC Bretland. Bandstands were erected in Belfast parks in the 1920’s to a standard design for local bands to play in. This one has group value with the other listed structures in the park.

HB26/39/002 Ballysillan Presbyterian Church, Belfast

Late Victorian Gothic Revival church built in 1891 to designs of Samuel Stevenson. It retains a fine interior with original ornately carved gallery on painted columns, pews and pulpit.

HB26/41/014 Holy Trinity C of I Church, Ballysillan Road, Belfast

Impressively large and well detailed Gothic Revival church, built in 1954 to the designs of local architect E P Lamont. It includes a bell dated 1844 salvaged from the earlier Trinity Church which was destroyed during WW ll.

HB26/44/067 Cavehill Methodist Church, 92-114 Cavehill Road, Belfast

Idiosyncratic 2-storey rustic red brick hipped roof church designed by architects Young and Mackenzie. The church retains a fine interior and occupies a prominent site fronting on to Cavehill Road.

HB26/46/003B Chapel at Dominican College, 38 Fortwilliam Park, Belfast

Excellent and rare example of a modernist chapel dating from 1964 - designed by William Bready. It features an unusual wedge shaped floor plan. The swept curvilinear roof references the work of Le Corbusier at Ronchamps and the work of prominent local architect Liam McCormick. The chapel has fine stained glass windows designed by Daniel Braniff.

HB26/46/011 Barnageeha, St Patricks Secondary School, Antrim Rd, Belfast

Former merchant’s villa built in buff sandstone in 1868 with classical Greek detailing, in the style of Alexander Greek Thompson – designed by Thompson’s student James Hamilton. Former occupants include Major General J K Millner, the Olympic Gold Medal winner and Walter Francis Clokey, the prominent Irish stained glass artist.

HB26/46/017A 587 Antrim Road, Belfast

HB26/46/017B 585 Antrim Road, Belfast

Pair of semi-detached High Victorian gabled houses built in 1865 to the eclectic designs of Robert Young. They are noteworthy examples of their type and represent the wealth and aspirations of suburban Belfast during the mid to late nineteenth century.

HB26/48/010A Newington Pres Church, Limestone Road, Belfast

HB26/48/010B Newington Pres Church Hall, Limestone Road, Belfast

This church and associated hall built in 1951 were designed by Young and Mackenzie, prominent local architects. They represent one of the best examples of their later work.

HB26/48/011 Gate Lodge to Holy Family P.S., Newington Ave, Belfast

Late Victorian gate lodge to the Holy Family RC Church – a chapel of ease which was demolished in 1912 to make way for a permanent church. It was built for the church’s caretaker. A rare example of a lodge to a 19th century catholic church.

HB26/20/004B Hamill Vault, St Joseph’s Churchyard, Hannahstown

Double height gabled burial vault in Gothic Revival style dating from 1905, to designs of architect Charles MacAlister. It was erected by the Hamill family, one of the leading families in Belfast from the mid-nineteenth century to the early twentieth. The vault is the most impressive of the memorials in the graveyard and has a prominent position facing the church.