THE Ranken Memorial Flute was formed in 1910 in the parish of Ballygawley, just a few short miles from the Co Londonderry town of Garvagh.
One of the oldest bands in the Garvagh district, following in the tradition of Caheny Flute Band, Glenkeen Fife and Drum and Movenis Rising Sons of William Flute, originally it was named Gordon’s Faith Defenders after the then unionist MP.
Like so many bands, it was originally brought into existence to lead an Orange Lodge, namely Ballygawley L.O.L. 202, on the Twelfth of July. In its very early days it was intended to be of the part flute genre, but unfortunately their original tutor passed away before they made ‘the road’, and a first flute style was adopted.