DCSIMG

Dave Lee Travis found not guilty of indecent assault charges

Former DJ Dave Lee Travis with his wife Marianne.

Former DJ Dave Lee Travis with his wife Marianne.

Veteran DJ Dave Lee Travis has been found not guilty of 12 indecent assault charges.

But the jury at London’s Southwark Crown Court failed to reach verdicts on two other charges and were discharged.

Travis, 68, showed no reaction as the verdicts were read out, looking straight ahead.

The jury of eight women and four men had been deliberating for around 20 hours after a trial at which the former Top Of The Pops presenter was accused of indecently assaulting 10 women and sexually assaulting another in alleged incidents dating back to 1976 when he was at the height of his fame.

There will be a further hearing at the same court on February 24 to decide if there should be a retrial of the two outstanding charges.

Travis was allowed to remain seated as the verdicts were passed and listened with the aid of headphones, as he had done during the four weeks of evidence.

His wife Marianne supported him from the public gallery as the verdicts were announced but did not show any emotion.

She sat next to Margaret Merritt, Travis’s personal assistant in the 1970s, who gave evidence as a defence witness.

Travis’s wife had looked nervous as the jury came back into court.

Judge Anthony Leonard thanked the jury before discharging them and told Travis he would be bailed on the same conditions as before.

“I understand, thank you,” Travis replied before leaving the dock.

Asked by reporters if he was delighted by the result as he walked out of court, he said: “No, I’m not delighted at all.”

 

Comments

 
 

Back to the top of the page