THE future of the Parades Commission will be debated this September following agreement between the first minister and deputy first minister on renewed efforts to tackle the Ardoyne flashpoint.
Peter Robinson and Martin McGuinness will also consider closer engagement with north Belfast residents to help break the cycle of violence which explodes there every marching season.
This year police officers were injured when petrol bombs and other missiles were hurled by nationalists after an Orange parade passed through the area. Riot police lines were attacked using a flaming car and ten shots were fired at police lines.
Mr Robinson said there had been some unacceptable and inexcusable scenes.
“In terms of the parading issue there will be a general recognition that the best way of dealing with this was not the Parades Commission and we work on with people connected to the residents and Orange institutions,” he said.
He claimed the Ulster Unionists were responsible for rejecting a proposed deal in 2010 on parading but said he did not share their “faith” in the Parades Commission.
The Orange Order narrowly rejected the new system for overseeing controversial parades in Northern Ireland, which was set up by a Stormont working group under the terms of the Hillsborough Agreement.
The plans would have seen the Commission replaced by two new bodies encouraging rival sides to engage in dialogue.
Mr Robinson added: “We are willing to talk to anybody about them and to look at any suggestions as to how they (the proposals) can be improved.
“I discussed this with the deputy first minister this week and we agreed in September to attempt to see whether there is value in having an engagement on the wider issue of an alternative to the Parades Commission and also whether there is an advantage in engaging with people locally in Ardoyne.”
More than 20 officers were injured this month after a barrage of petrol bombs, bricks, stones and bottles were thrown at them amid significant disorder from nationalist and loyalist protesters, which continued sporadically into the early hours of the morning.
Ten shots were fired from the nationalist side at Brompton Park at 12.30am. Police used six baton rounds and water cannons. Several men have been charged in connection with the violence.
The trouble flared following a token Orange Order parade past the Ardoyne shopfronts on Thursday as part of Twelfth of July celebrations.
There was also violence in Londonderry, during which a number of petrol bombs were thrown in the Westland Street area and at the Derry Walls. One car was hit and set alight.
The return parade past the Ardoyne shopfronts was said by police to have happened peacefully and “in accordance with the Parades Commission determination” that it go past by 4pm.
Protests by nationalist and loyalist residents were then allowed to take place.
Nigel Dodds, of the DUP, accused the Parades Commission of making a “bizarre, crazy and mad” decision, which he said made the situation worse.
The Commission has defended its decision.