DCSIMG

Former footballer Keith Gillespie breached ruling on ex-partner

Former Northern Ireland football star Keith Gillespie at Newtownards Court on Friday.

Former Northern Ireland football star Keith Gillespie at Newtownards Court on Friday.

Retired football star Keith Gillespie repeatedly telephoned and texted his ex-partner and even posted a “personal photograph” of her online, a judge heard yesterday.

Solicitor Darren Duncan told Newtownards Magistrates Court the 39-year-old former professional footballer – of Ballycrochan Avenue in Bangor – was pleading guilty to three separate breaches of a court imposed non-molestation order on dates in December last year and January and February this year.

A prosecuting lawyer outlined how following the breakdown of their relationship, Gillespie’s ex-partner was granted a temporary non-molestation order on December 6 last year but, within hours of police officers serving it on the retired premiership star, Gillespie texted her three times.

The lawyer conceded while there was “nothing threatening” in the messages, she “felt harassed by his behaviour”.

The two further breaches involved two phone calls in the early hours of the morning, and posting a “personal photograph” of his ex-partner online.

Making a plea in mitigation Mr Duncan said the offences arose as a result of Gillespie “having difficulties in coming to terms with the breakdown of the relationship” and not being able to see his son.

He confirmed to Deputy District Judge Gerald Trainor there was no allegation of physical violence.

Adjourning the case until next month for probation presentence reports, the judge told Gillespie to “co-operate” with the probation service to “expose the entire background”.

 
 
 

Back to the top of the page