The unveiling this weekend of a monument to three IRA men shot dead by the security forces in Lurgan is "an attempt to re-write history", an MLA said yesterday.
Upper Bann DUP MLA Stephen Moutray hit out at the memorial to Gervaise McKerr, Sean Burns and Eugene Toman, killed on November 11, 1982.
Mr Moutray said: “This is only the latest example of republicans attempting to re-write history.
“We are all trying to move on into a new and better future for the people of Northern Ireland.
“That will not be helped by this kind of development, designed as it is to divert people’s gaze away from the largest abuser of human rights during the course of the Troubles.”
Mr Moutray said he would investigate whether the monument had received the proper planning approval.
“I shall be raising this with the relevant department with a view to seeing just how legal it is and what the department plans to do about it,” he said.
Earlier this year, Coroner John Leckey held a preliminary hearing into six controversial killings at the centre of an alleged police shoot-to-kill policy 25 years ago.
The case includes the three IRA men shot dead by members of a specialist RUC unit in Lurgan.
At the time of the controversy over the Lurgan deaths, former deputy chief constable of Greater Manchester Police John Stalker was brought in to investigate. His report was never published and earlier inquests into the killings were abandoned.
The Government has always denied any “shoot-to-kill” policy existed and has resisted calls from families to look again at what happened.