One man yesterday remained in a critical condition and another missing after both fell into the sea at the weekend in unrelated incidents.
It is understood the family of the 38-year-old Polish man who is still unaccounted for were making their way to Northern Ireland yesterday, after he was washed out to sea at around 4pm on Saturday.
A police helicopter, Irish coastguard helicopter, lifeboats and land-based teams were all deployed to find him after he was swept out to sea from Ramore Head, Portrush, although the search was called off on Sunday.
Yesterday conditions remained rough, and there were no searches by either the coastguard or the police.
However, the PSNI said they may resume today, and the coastguard said it would assist if requested.
Meanwhile, the 45-year-old man who fell into the water at Portstewart harbour on Saturday at roughly 6.15pm was still said to be critical in the Causeway Hospital.
However no further details were forthcoming from the health trust.
Jerome Mullen, honorary Polish consul in Northern Ireland, said he understood the missing 38-year-old man had been living in the Moy area in Co Tyrone and he believed his family members were on their way to the Province from Krakow.
Though there was still no news of him, he feared the worst.
Mr Mullen said: “A lot of Poles are very keen fishermen, and the last thing on his mind was that anything would happen to him, sitting on the rocks.
“But it just shows you how dangerous it is.
“He wouldn’t be the first to be washed off the rocks up there.”
One of those helping on the search was Richard Connor, 36, skipper of the Causeway Lass fishing boat, which had been taking eight passengers out on a trip at the time the emergency unfolded.
He was diverted for a couple of hours to help with the search, even with his customers on board.
Conditions had been relatively calm at the time but he added the strength of the waves had been extremely unpredictable, and suggested this is what could have caught the man out.
As Saturday went on the weather got worse.
And as of yesterday, he said they were facing “storm force conditions,” which he expects to continue for some days.
Asked if he had any advice to anyone planning a visit to the area’s seaside, he said: “Stay away from the coast this week.
“The pros wouldn’t be going to it.”