DCSIMG

Mark Haddock, former UVF boss, drops legal action

Court

Court

An alleged ex-loyalist terror boss and police informer has abandoned legal efforts to stop his former whereabouts being revealed.

Mark Haddock had secured a High Court order banning the press from reporting his address in England.

But with the notorious one-time UVF commander now behind bars for a knife attack on a friend, his lawyers confirmed on Friday the injunction was no longer required.

Earlier this year Haddock, 45, was jailed for 12 years at Woolwich Crown Court after being found guilty of wounding with intent.

He stabbed Terry Fairfield outside a pub in Newport Pagnell, Buckinghamshire in January.

The victim needed 27 external and three internal stitches after being slashed to the side of the head.

Both men are from north Belfast but had been living in England under new identities.

Haddock will have to serve at least eight years in jail and another four on licence.

He is alleged to have once led an infamous UVF unit operating out of the Mount Vernon estate.

Back in 2007 former Police Ombudsman Nuala O’Loan’s damning report into that gang’s campaign of murder found evidence that members were working as Special Branch agents.

She also concluded that police had colluded with loyalists to protect their arrest and prosecution.

In 2012 Haddock was among a dozen men acquitted at a major supergrass trial in Belfast of all charges linked to the paramilitary feud killing of rival UDA boss Tommy English 12 years earlier and other terror-related offences.

It was while he was out on bail facing those charges that he took legal steps against the Sunday World newspaper to stop his whereabouts being published.

But in the High Court on Friday his barrister Mark Farrell said: “The injunction and action are no longer sustainable in law due to a change in the plaintiff’s circumstances.”

Although the newspaper was not represented during the brief hearing Mr Justice Deeny was told it was aware of the move to end proceedings.

The judge then confirmed: “I will strike out the action and vacate the order of August 27, 2011.”

 

Comments

 
 

Back to the top of the page