Former Old Bailey bomber Marian Price walked free from court on Tuesday after being given a suspended sentence for two terrorist offences.
Price, also known by her married name Marian McGlinchey, previously admitted a charge of buying the mobile phone used by the Real IRA to claim responsibility for the murders of two British soldiers outside Massereene Army Barracks in March 2009.
The 59-year old, from Stockman’s Avenue in west Belfast, also admitted helping out at an Real IRA Easter commemoration in April 2011, during which she was pictured holding a statement for a masked man in a Londonderry cemetery.
Sentencing Price, Judge Gordon Kerr QC told the court she had a “significant conviction for terrorist activity” in reference to two life sentences imposed in November 1974 for her role in the Old Bailey bombing.
The Judge did, however, tell the court that pre-sentence reports presented to him suggested Price was “no longer interested in political activity”. He also spoke of her physical and psychiatric problems, saying sending her back to jail would result in “psychotic depression”.
Price pleaded guilty to providing property for the purposes of terrorism on March 8, 2009, and for this she was handed a 12-month prison sentence.
She also admitted aiding and abetting, counselling and procuring the address made to encourage support for the Real IRA at the Easter Rising parade in Londonderry on April 25, 2011, for which she received an eight month sentence.
Judge Kerr ordered that the sentences run concurrently, which he then suspended for three years.
Saying he felt there was a low risk of re-offending, the Judge warned Price that if she came before the court in the next three years, she would serve a 12-month jail term in addition to the sentence that brought her back before the court.
A spokesman for PSNI Serious Crime Branch said a number of people played a part in events before, during and after the murders of Sappers Mark Quinsey and Patrick Azimkar outside Massereene army base in March 2009.
“Despite today’s sentencing, and previous acquittals, the investigation remains open. Police would appeal to anyone with any information about those involved in these murders to contact them.
“The tragic outcome of those events in March 2009 is that the Azimkar and Quinsey families are facing another year without their brothers and son. Anyone who knows anything about the murders or can assist in any way with the investigation should do the right thing and talk to police on 0845 600 8000.”