Two men in their have been rescued after a first floor flat caught fire in Portadown.
The building in the Thomas Street area of the Co Armagh town was heavily smoke-logged when emergency crews arrived, following a call at around 5.27am today.
The Northern Ireland Fire and Rescue Service praised the actions of a neighbour, who had smelt the smoke and raised the alarm.
“The smoke alarm in the flat was defective and a neighbour in the adjacent flat smelt the smoke and raised the alarm,” a statement said.
“We would like to commend the quick thinking and good citizenship of this neighbour. We would also like to remind everyone of the importance of a working smoke alarm. Ensure you have one fitted on every floor of your home and test it once a week to make sure it is working.”