Increased numbers are expected to attend today’s weekly protest parade from West Belfast Orange hall to the junction of Woodvale Road, a local DUP councillor has said.
Greater Shankill representative Brian Kingston, himself an Orangeman, said that the mood among those supporting the protest, which has reached 85 days, would be one of “determination” after a fresh Orange Order application to complete the Twelfth parade past the Ardoyne shopfronts was refused earlier this week.
Mr Kingston said the protest “will continue for as long as it takes”.
A spokesman for the Civil Rights camp at Twaddell said there was a general feeling of success at having the call heard for the current Parades Commission team to be removed.
“On behalf of the constituent parts of the campaign we welcome this announcement,” said the spokesman.
“This positive step does not address the fundamental flaws in the legislative framework for parades. Therefore, further reform is necessary to ensure all cultures enjoy freedom of association, expression and assembly.”
Mr Kingston said the support for the protest at Twaddell will only grow.
“I fully expect that numbers will be boosted from hundreds back into thousands by this illogical and inconsistent decision by the Parades Commission,” he said.
“Since the Twelfth there have been two morning parades down the Crumlin Road past the Ardoyne shopfronts by local branches of the Apprentice Boys of Derry and the Royal Black Preceptory. Yet when an application was made by the Orange Order for a similar small parade along the same stretch of road early on a Saturday morning, it has been prohibited by the Parades Commission.
“I do think that members of the outgoing Parades Commission had backed themselves into a corner.
“Ultimately, we need to replace the Parades Commission with a new structure having broader support and greater buy-in.”