The Parades Commission has rejected an application from the Orange Order to complete their July 12 parade in north Belfast.
The Ligoneil lodges had applied last week to the Commission to march past the Ardoyne shops at 9am on Saturday morning.
Further to this the Orange Order said they would consider dialogue over the issue if the parade was allowed to be completed.
A Parades Commission determination on Wednesday however has rejected this application.
The ruling did however acknowledge the reference to talks between the Order and local residents.
It stated: “The Commission re-affirms its views that solutions to parading problems in Northern Ireland can be best achieved through meaningful and sustained dialogue and expects this dialogue to start straight away.”
Protests have taken place at Twaddell, where a ‘civil rights camp’ has also been set up, since July.
A spokesman for the County Grand Lodge of Belfast said they were dismayed by the decision.
He described the application and reference to dialogue as a “genuine and sincere attempt to resolve the current impasse, and reach an equitable solution allowing our Ligoniel brethren to complete their Twelfth parade in a dignified manner”.
He said: “It is shameful that the Parades Commission – who created the situation at Woodvale – choose to consistently deny civil and religious liberty for all in north Belfast, and blatantly ignore a commitment by the Institution to full and open dialogue with Ardoyne residents following the completion of this long-held and traditional parade.
“Rather, they continue to consume only the republican narrative, succumb to the threat of violence posed by dissidents and in doing so have poisoned the positive atmosphere emanating from the Haass talks.
“However despite this setback, the Orange family and our Unionist partners involved in the Civil Rights Camp remain determined to peacefully and resolutely maintain the ongoing presence at Twaddell Avenue. The campaign will continue for the lodges to be allowed to go home.”