The Mayor of Antrim has expressed his outrage after three homes were attacked within an hour and one of which was set on fire on Monday night.
Roy Thompson said he was appalled by the crime spree, which began shortly after 9pm.
In the first attack in the Firmount Drive area, eight windows were smashed and it’s believed the gang attempted to force entry to the property.
A 35-year-old male sustained injuries to his hand when he was assaulted.
Shortly after 10pm it was reported that windows at a second property, an upstairs flat had been smashed by a group of people. Again it’s believed an attempt was made to force entry.
At 10.13pm police received the third report stating that another property in Firmount Drive had been deliberately set alight.
It’s understood the property was unoccupied at the time.
The NIFRS attended and extinguished the fire.
A PSNI spokesperson said: “A 44 year old man was arrested on suspicion of aggravated burglary, resisting arrest, disorderly behaviour and assaulting police. He remains in custody at this time. A 16 year old female was also arrested on Ballycraigy Road early this morning also on suspicion of aggravated burglary in connection with this same incident.”
The Mayor said: “It’s a disgrace that such an incident would take place in this day in age in a residential area.
“Thankfully we are not dealing with fatalities this morning,” Mr Thompson added.