Temperatures take a dip for record highs

Lacey Allen(4) and her friend Jessica Gardner(6) from Belfast enjoy the sun and cool down with some ice-cream at Helen's Bay in Co. Down.
Lacey Allen(4) and her friend Jessica Gardner(6) from Belfast enjoy the sun and cool down with some ice-cream at Helen's Bay in Co. Down.

Temperatures fell across much of Northern Ireland over the weekend, but remained warm in southern parts of the Province.

The thermometer reached 25.9 Celsius (78.6F)in Killowen in Co Down yesterday, and 23.5C (74.3F) in Killowen on Saturday.

Elsewhere in Co Down yesterday, it reached 23.9C in Katesbridge, while in Derrylin, Co Fermanagh, it touched 23.8C.

Castlederg, which hit a blistering 29.5C (85,1F) last Monday, only rose to 23.1C yesterday, after peaking at a mere 19.1C on Saturday.

Parts of the north coast were relatively cool yesterday, with a maximum temperature of 16.3C (61.3F) at the Giant’s Causeway.

While many of these temperatures were higher than average for the time of year, the various recordings were markedly lower than the hottest temperatures seen on Friday, where the mercury rose to well over 25C in several places, peaking at Thomastown in Co Fermanagh at 29.1C (84.4F).

Orangemen across the Province were marching in sweltering conditions.

Meanwhile, the full scale of last week’s heatwave became apparent with an upwardly revised figure for the hottest temperature reached in the Province.

The mercury touched 29.9 degrees Celsius (85.8F) in Edenfel in Co Tyrone last Monday, higher than the 29.5C recorded in Castlederg, which had been thought the hottest place in Northern Ireland that day.

The new figure for Edenfel means that it was not only the hottest place in the UK that day, higher than the 29.6C recorded in Lee-on-Solent in Hampshire, but also the hottest temperature anywhere in Britain or Ireland this year prior to Saturday, when it reached 31.9C (89.4F) in Southampton. It was 31.1C (88F) in Southampton yesterday.

Meanwhile, soaring temperatures may have caused the deaths of two servicemen while training in some of Wales’ most rugged terrain, military sources say.

The men had been on an exercise in the Brecon Beacons on Saturday — where temperatures topped 29.5C (85.1F) — before they died. A third serviceman was taken to hospital and remains in a serious condition.

The Ministry of Defence and police said they were both investigating the incidents, which happened near the Storey Arms Centre.

A spokesman said: “The MoD can confirm that it is working with Dyfed Powys Police to investigate an incident during a training exercise on the Brecon Beacons on Saturday in which two members of military personnel died.”

The weather today in Northern Ireland is expected to be less sunny than in recent days. A spokeswoman for PA Meteogroup said: “There will be more cloud around by the look of it. It might be thick enough for the odd spot of drizzle, still quite warm in parts, 21C to 23C.”