Yet another suspicious approach made to children in Bangor

editorial image

The PSNI have said that two more children have been the subject of a “suspicious approach” by a man in Bangor.

The incident has echoes of other approaches in the town on February 21 and 22.

The latest incident happened in the Clanmorris Close are on Wednesday afternoon.

At around 4pm, two young girls were approached by a man who asked them to go into an entryway with him to keep watch while he went to the toilet.

The children refused to go into the entry with the man.

Neither child was physically touched during the incident.

Detective Inspector Harry Colgan said in a statement: “The man was described as being aged in his early 20s, of medium build, around 5ft 10in tall with brown scruffy sideburns.

“He was wearing a baggy black hooded top with the hood up, baggy black tracksuit bottoms and a peaked cap which was possibly grey or white in colour.

“We are investigating a link between this latest incident and similar incidents towards the end of February in the Kilocooley estate area in which a number of young children were approached.

“We are keen to identify this man immediately and I would appeal to anyone who noticed a man matching this description in the Clanmorris Close area today or anyone who has any information which could assist us with our enquiries to contact detectives in Bangor on 101.

“Information can also be given anonymously through the independent charity Crimestoppers on 0800 555 111.”

In the earlier incidents, on Sunday February 21 at around 5pm two nine-year-old children were approached by a man in Rostrevor Drive.

This man walked into an alleyway before unfastening his belt.

The girls did not enter the alleyway and ran home.

On Monday February 22 at around 4pm an 8 year old girl reported that she was approached by a male in the Kircubbin Gardens area.

He asked her to keep an eye out while he went to the toilet.

She said no and this male then made off towards Glastry Gardens.

On Monday 22nd February at around 5pm a seven-year-old girl had been playing near her home in Glastry Court when a man approached her and asked her to go into an alleyway.

She did not do this however this man did expose himself to her before she ran away.

During these incidents none of the children were physically assaulted.

In an appeal around these incidents, police had said the male was described to them as as being in his 30s, approx. 5ft 7in tall and was wearing a blue top, possibly with red or orange stitching round the hood.