Anthony Joshua out to impress at Manchester Arena on November 26

Anthony Joshua
Anthony Joshua

Anthony Joshua will make the second defence of his IBF heavyweight title at the Manchester Arena on November 26.

The undefeated 26-year-old last fought when he stopped Dominic Breazeale in seven rounds in June. His next challenger is to be announced by the end of September.

Joshua last fought outside of London’s O2 Arena in May 2015 when he defeated Raphael Zumbano Love at the Barclaycard Arena in Birmingham.

The change of location is a demonstration of promoter Eddie Hearn’s desire to continue to build his profile throughout the country.

Details of the November fight were announced by Matchroom Boxing, run by Hearn.

The promoter spoke earlier in the week of a three-fight plan for Joshua that begins on November 26, is followed by a further defence against mandatory challenger Joseph Parker in March, and then concludes with a voluntary at Wembley Stadium against one of the division’s biggest names.

To maximise the success of such a plan and of pay-per-view sales throughout that period, it may be necessary to continue to build the heavyweight’s reputation beyond the capital.

New Zealand’s Parker is also in contention to appear on the November 26 undercard.

“When I first started my professional career I travelled all round the country fighting, which I loved, this is taking me back to the grass roots,” said Joshua, a 2012 Olympic gold medallist who went to Rio to support Team GB’s boxers this summer.

“I can’t wait to get back up north and show the people of Manchester how much I have improved since the last time I was there. I have been inspired over the summer by the fighters in the Olympics, it has given me a new perspective and huge hunger to get back in ring.

“It has taken a bit of time to officially announce the fight, we want this to be a spectacular show, all the way up the card and it takes time to get these things right.”

November’s fight will conclude a five-month absence from the ring for Joshua, after his demanding run of seven fights in 15 months.

Meanwhile Gennady Golovkin’s trainer has admitted huis fighter will face a real challenge in Kell Brook when they meet on September 10.

Abel Sanchez has guided Golovkin to the WBA Super, WBC and IBF world middleweight crowns and has already asserted that the clash with Sheffield’s ‘Special One’ at The O2 is the Kazakh’s toughest task.

Sanchez said: “He’s not going to be smaller than Golovkin. He’s going to be bigger than Golovkin, even by fight time.

“The fight excites me because I finally got someone in the ring with Golovkin who he believes belongs there with him. We’re fighting an undefeated fighter who doesn’t know how to lose or get hurt and is knocking everyone out just like Golovkin.

“I think Golovkin feels the threat and because he feels the threat, I feel that. I feel that I’m on stage too, competing with the Ingles Gym to make sure they don’t beat me again.

“I’m excited. I’m not apprehensive. I’m excited to make sure that we do a job.”

And Belfast’s Anthony Cacace will get back in action tonight in Wigan when he faces Jamie Quinn after nearly a year out of the ring.

In his last fight Cacace caimed the Celtic Super-featherweight title by beating Ronnie Clark in Scotland last year. Cacace - now trained by former World Champion Brian Magee - has won all of his 13 fights to date.