Nonito Donaire wants Carl Frampton showdown

IBF and WBA World champion Carl Frampton

IBF and WBA World champion Carl Frampton

0
Have your say

Former pound for pound king Nonito Donaire is the latest fighter to mention Carl Frampton’s name.

‘The Filipino Flash’ – who up and until he lost to Guillermo Rigondeaux was just behind Manny Pacquiao and Floyd Mayweather in the list of greatest fighters on the planet – looks set to defend his WBO super-bantamweight World title against Zsolt Bedak in April.

And, if as expected he defeats the Hungarian, Donaire says – like Leo Santa Cruz and Lee Selby – that Frampton will be on his radar.

“There are a lot of good fights in this weight class. We got Rigondeaux, Quigg, Frampton, Ruiz.

“We have a lot of guys in this division that will make it a fun fight to watch.

“We might just fight a guy who is holding a title, it could be Frampton, or anybody who’s fighting for a title or who’s holding a title, as well as Rigondeaux because he’s the number one in the division and we’re always trying to be number one,” he added.

And Selby – who has also called Frampton out – will make the second defence of his IBF featherweight crown on the undercard to the Anthony Joshua-Charles Martin world heavyweight title fight in London on April 9.

Welshman Selby will face mandatory challenger Eric Hunter at the same London 02 Arena in which he captured a version of the 126lb world title in May last year with victory over Evgeny Gradovich.

The 29-year-old from Barry claimed his 22nd win from 23 professional contests in his last outing in October by beating veteran Fernando Montiel on points in Arizona.

Selby said: “I can’t wait. I’ve always wanted to box on April 9 and I’ve been working towards that and my head’s been on it, so now it’s confirmed its great news.

I am more than ready for this one. It’s always nice to fight in front of your home fans so it will be great to have my second defence in front of my own people.

“Last time I went away to America, so it was hard for them to watch.

“It was on in the early hours of the morning but this time they will get to see me and that is important. I will be at my best.

“I will show why I am the IBF world champion and show people what I can do.”

Hunter has lost three times in 24 outings in the paid ranks and will fight for the first time outside the United States next month.

Meanwhile, Deontay Wilder’s world heavyweight title defence against Alexander Povetkin will take place in Russia.

The WBC champion wanted to box mandatory challenger Povetkin in Brooklyn, New York, only for promoter Andrey Ryabinsky of World of Boxing to win the purse bids.

And the Russian has confirmed that Wilder (36-0-KO35) will have to travel to meet Povetkin (30-1-0-KO22) on his home soil.

Back to the top of the page