Anderson vows to up the ante

AFTER securing the end of a run where they had won just one of their last five outings, Whitey Anderson wants to take Ballinamallard on to the next level.

The Fermanagh side now have as many points as Carrick Rangers did when they were relegated last season following their win at Mourneview Park and, for now, it’s about finishing as far up the league table as possible.

“We’re very happy with how things are going and we are satisfied that Ballinamallard will be playing Premiership football next season,” said Mallards boss Whitey Anderson.

“Our simple aim now is to win as many games as we can and finish as high up the league table as we can.”

The Fermanagh side had a great strike by David Kee to thank for separating the sides.

He cut inside past a defender on the edge of the box before curling his shot past the outstretched Andy Coleman into the far corner of the net .

“Both teams had chances and they both tried to play football. Our keeper made a couple of important saves to keep us ahead.

“It was a fantastic goal by Davy Kee, a great individual effort but to be honest we were just glad to get the three points.”

It was a fairly tight game in Lurgan with both sides creating chances, and the visitors had the brighter start with Jay McCartney seeing his chance on 27 minutes stopped by the feet of Coleman.

Glenavon, who had given a debut to 15-year-old right-back Jason Greenaway, hit the bar through player-boss Gary Hamilton after Guy Bates and Ciaran Doherty had worked the ball into the box.

Andy McGrory felt his header on 53 minutes should have counted after Mark Haughey’s free kick had been flicked into his path by Hamilton but the Estonian officials decided he was offside.

Following the visitors goal it was up to their goalkeeper, Alvin Rouse, to be the hero, denying Hamilton, Doherty and Bates as the Mighty Ducks held on for the win.

Glenavon assistant manager Paul Millar was trying to look for the positives at full time.

“There are games when we go into the changing room afterwards and ask questions of the players but today it was more a case of having to put an arm around them,” he said.

“We felt we had scored a legitimate goal, but to be fair to the officials I asked the linesman at the end if he was 100% sure he was offside and he said yes.”

GLENAVON: Coleman, Neill, Haughey, Doherty, Bates, Lindsay, McGrory, Martyn, Greenaway, Hamilton. Subs: Burrows, McCashin (Greenaway 83), Turkington, Mitchell (Kilmartin 83), Henderson (Doherty 83).

BALLINAMALLARD: Rouse, McConkey, Keohane, Carters, Stafford, Kee, Currans, Hutchinson, Feeny, McCartney, Campbell. Subs: Crawford (Feeny 77), Liggett, McGrath, McKenna (Hutchinson 61), Martin (Campbell 68).

Referee: Roomer Tarajev (Estonia).