Ards continue Championship 1 title assault with victory over Limavady United

Miguel Chines and Steven Kelly do battle during Saturday's Championship 2 game between Knockbreda and Moyola Park
Miguel Chines and Steven Kelly do battle during Saturday's Championship 2 game between Knockbreda and Moyola Park



Ards stretched their lead at the top of Championship 1 to eight points with an emphatic 4-0 win over Limavady United at Clandeboye Park.

The league leaders flew out of the blocks, scoring within 15 seconds of the start.

Limavady conceded the ball from their kick-off after some great pressing from the Ards forward line that eventually saw the ball fall to the feet of Paul McDowell who struck a sweet half volley from 20 yards that just dipped under the crossbar.

If McDowell’s goal was impressive then Matty Burrows’ strike was simply outstanding.

The former Glentoran forward eluded the Limavady defence, stepped inside and curling a 20-yard effort into the top corner in the 20th minute.

Ards’ third goal arrived just before half-time when Craig McMillen pounced on a defensive error to volley the ball into an empty net from the edge of the box. Ards added a fourth goal in the 48 th minute when James Cully bundled home a corner kick.


It was the home side who dominated proceedings and two classy first half finishes from front man Stephen Hughes proved enough to see the Point record their sixth successive league win.

Hughes scored in the 23rd minute before doubling his tally just a minute later.

Dundela 5 Bangor 1

Dundela took the lead on 10 minutes when Willie Faulkner had the simple task of side footing the ball into the Bangor net and in the 25th minute visiting keeper Dickey, in an attempt to clear, unfortunately hit his centre-half and the ball fell kindly to Faulkner who simply walked the ball home for his second.

His hat-trick arrived on 34 minutes following a long throw which he volleyed sweetly into the Bangor goal. In the 40th minute Kyle Owens powered in a header from a Jamie Jackson corner to put Dundela 4-0 up at half time.

On 75 minutes David Wright promptly returned a cleared corner into the Bangor goal from 18 yards for 5-0 and in the 85th minute Bangor were awarded a penalty which player manager Gareth Scates confidently converted.

Championship 2

Annagh Utd 1 Armagh City 1

Shea Campbell had a penalty shout turned down on 53 minutes but not to be denied just three minutes later he finished well past Morgan.

On 62 minutes Annagh were caught ball watching and Hynds found himself in acres of space at the back post fromwhere he gave Wright no chance.

Chim Corner 1 Banbridge T 2

The game was a fairly even contest up to the 20th minute when Banbridge were awarded a free kick on the edge of the box. The goal-bound effort was saved but Timmy Grant reacted quickest to put ‘The Town’ one up.

Two minutes later the lead was doubled when Chris Kingsbury scored but Corner reacted immediately and they were back in the game on the 24 minute through when Jamie Willigan scored.

Moyola Park 2 Knockbreda 4

Moyola opened the scoring in the 17th minute against the run of play when Kenning was fouled in the box and Hassan converted from the spot.

Knockbreda equalised in the 65 th minute as Young finished high into the top corner and in the 71st minute the visitors went ahead when Rafferty was adjudged to have been fouled in the box and Wright made no mistake from the spot.

In the 76 th minute the referee awarded the third penalty of the game following a foul on Hassan and Lucas stepped up and finished confidently to even things up. The visitors re-took the lead in the 85 th minute when Wright curled a great free kick into the top corner and Rafferty made it 4-2 with the last kick of the game.

Glebe Rangers 1 Wakehurst 1

Clear cut chances were at a premium in a tepid first half.

Glebe struck shortly after the restart when Elder’s pinpoint cross was met by Parkhill who made no mistake with an unstoppable header.

The ‘Gers were reduced to ten men in the 71 st minute when skipper Ryan Marks received his marching orders following a second yellow card and Wakehurst’s asserted pressure in the final minutes saw the home side tire.

It was danger-man Jason Paul who snatched the inevitable equaliser in injury time when beautifully set up by McCaughern.