Ballinamallard’s Anderson happy to take a point against Dungannon

The Boxing Day spoils were shared between Ballinamallard United and Dungannon Swifts with a goal in each half.

The game at Ferney Park saw both sides create a handful of excellent goalscoring chances. It was the Mid Ulster side who were the brighter in the opening 15 minutes creating good chances through Lavery and Topley with Topley unlucky not to get on the end of a brilliant cross from Lavery from the corner flag on the half hour.

Gradually though the home side worked their way into the game with first Ryan Campbell going close from a Kee knock down and then McCartney, who hurried his shot.

Lavery came close with a low drive at the near post for Swifts and keeper Rouse made a fine save at the base of the post.

On 31 minutes though Ballinamallard won another free kick which Kee again delivered. This time the Dungannon defence only partly cleared the danger and Hutchinson was on hand to drill the ball past a ruck of players into the net.

Five minutes later the Ferney Park side should have increased their lead when a Carter header from another Kee free kick flashed across goal and Crawford’s effort came back off the base of the Dungannon post.

In the second half Dungannon improved their game with some neat passing play and Topley was through again, but for a great saving tackle from Stafford.

Then on 70 minutes McManus found space with an majestic flick and delivered a whipped cross from the byline, which substitute Richard Leckey saw just taken off his toe.

Then on 83 minutes substitute Jamie Glacken slotted home in similar style to Ballinamallard’s goal when the home defence failed to clear a corner.

Ballinamallard manager Whitey Anderson was just pleased his side secured a point from this derby game.

“At 1-0 I felt we could have gone on to secure the three points, but I felt Dungannon played very well in the second half,” he said.

“It would have been a big three points and I felt our back five were tremendous throughout.

“But it was a bit of slack play from the set piece which saw them get a header back across goal to score.”

Darren Murphy, the Dungannon supremo, had a similar view.

“Anyone at the game would have felt we deserved something from the game. The two clubs wanted to play the game the right way. I think people are very quick to knock the Irish league and the players in it, but anyone here today saw two teams that played the game the right way. I’m disappointed with leaving with one point, but at the end of the day when you are trailing for so long it’s probably nice.”

Ballinamallard: Rouse, Keohane, Carters, Stafford, Kee, Hutchinson (Currie 70), Crawford, McCartney (C. Beacom 78), McManus, N. Beacom, Campbell (Lecky 60). Subs Sheridan and Courtney

Dungannon Swifts: Buchannan, Lowe, Brennan, McCaffrey, Grieve, Fitzpatrick (Glackin 75), Hutchinson, Harpur, Hazley, Lavery (Costello 78), Topley (Boyce 67). Subs Burns, McCullough. Referee Stephen Wallace




Back to the top of the page