Ballinamallard United are far from finished following weekend win over Glenavon

Eddie McCallion of Glenavon holds off Steve Feeney of Ballinamallard
Eddie McCallion of Glenavon holds off Steve Feeney of Ballinamallard

Ballinamallard United got off to an electrifying start against Glenavon and never looked back on Saturday.

Their second win of the week and three points strengthened their grip on fourth place in the Danske Bank Premiership.

The Ferney Park boys got off to the best possible start with Steve Feeney slotting home after just 56 seconds.

A Leon Carters free-kick was knocked down by captain Mark Stafford into the path of Feeney to finished well past keeper Coleman.

Manager Whitey Anderson was delighted with the way his players came out of the blocks.

“It was a really fantastic start, but credit to Glenavon for the rest of the first half, they exerted quite a bit of pressure and had good possession.

“They have quality players and I’m surprised at their position in the league,” he said.

“In the second half we went three up and really it could have been more with the chances we created.”

Anderson had high praise for central defender Stafford, who despite being wanted by champions Linfield pledged his future to the Mallards with a new contract.

“I thought Mark was back to his best today. There was real pressure on him last week and this decision had taken a lot of pressure off his shoulders,” said Anderson.

“Our keeper Alvin Rouse, too was superb today. As well as the penalty save I felt his handling from crosses was excellent and in the final moment he made an brilliant save at the feel of Kyle Neill.”

Saturday made it four wins from five for Ballinamallard and now and strengthens their quest for a top six position.

“We know we are safe in the Premiership now, but we hope to push on for a top six position now,” said Anderson.

Man of the match Stafford admitted he was glad the transfer talk was now “done and dusted.”

“I felt we did really well today. We were leading, but Glenavon put us under quite a bit of pressure. I think as a back five we handled it well today,” he added.

“All I want to do is play football and get good results with Ballinamallard. Our aim is to make the top six now. The boys had a great result against Coleraine on Tuesday and that result brought confidence back to us. We want to push on now and achieve that top six spot.”

Following the fantastic start with Feeney’s goal, Leon Carters added a second on 39 minutes when he bundled the ball over the line following a Jason McCartney free kick.

Ballinamallard added a third in the second half, Feeney volleying home from close range after a great run from winger Chris Curran.

Glenavon got on the scoreboard with a 73rd minute goal, Bates diving in at the back post after a cross from the right.