Bangor battle back to secure a draw

Bangor's Ethan Boylan sees his shot blocked as the Welders defence does its job. Picture: Brian Thompson/Presseye
Bangor's Ethan Boylan sees his shot blocked as the Welders defence does its job. Picture: Brian Thompson/Presseye

League leaders H&W Welders missed out on maximum points as Bangor wiped out a two goal deficit to take a share of the spoils.

The Welders struck in the 17th minute through Gareth Beattie who nodded home from a Dan McMurray cross. They doubled their lead shortly afterwards when Gary Spence’s cross come shot sailed over Paul Cairnduff and into the Bangor goal.

Richard Gibson reduced the arears in the 28th minute with his third goal in four games, but when Ethan Boylan was shown a straight red card for a wild lunge after 66 minutes.

With that the Welders were odds on favourites to take the points. But ten man Bangor were awarded a penalty when Andy Long was tripped in the box allowing Mark Cooling to score the equaliser.

On Friday evening a feisty battle at Darragh Park saw Dergview record back to back wins defeating Dundela 2-1.

Dun’s keeper Stephen McKay denied Richard Lecky with a first half penalty save but two second half strikes from Lecky and Tom Carlin were enough to win the game. Kyle Owens swept home from close range to resurrect the visitors’ hopes but that was as good as it got for the Belfast side. Darren Higginbotham was dismissed, receiving two yellow cards in quick succession, as Dergview saw the game out to take the points.

Last season’s promoted teams Armagh City and PSNI met at Holm Park where the Police came from behind to seal their first points in the top flight.

City started the brightest and took a third minute lead from a corner kick when Utan Lennon rose to head home on four minutes. Joe McWilliams turned in a Mark Anderson corner for the equaliser on 25 minutes and five minutes later Ashton McDermott headed in another Anderson corner.

Carrick Rangers beat Larne 2-1 with goals from Ben Roy and Miquel Chines enough to see off their East Antrim rivals. Matty Rooney got a debut goal for the visitors but Robbie Lee Crawford and Aidan O’Kane got their marching orders.

Elsewhere, Ards beat Lisburn Distiller 3-1, Ballyclare Comrades beat Loughgall 2-1 at Lakeview Park whilst Knockbreda and Donegal Celtic played out a 1-1 draw at Breda Park.