Bangor hit seven past hapless Glebe Rangers

Bangor's Mark Cooling
Bangor's Mark Cooling

Visitors Glebe Rangers troubles started last Thursday night when manager Gareth Montgomery handed in his resignation. Taking his place on the bench against Bangor was assistant Jason Wilmont, but there was no joy for the new man as his charges were outgunned 7-1 by the Championship 1 leaders.

Bangor’s overdue opener goal came on 21 minutes.

Left winger Tommy Lambe latched onto a Jordan Forsythe ball into the six yard box to lash a waist-high volley from a couple of yards out which deflected off a defender past the helpless keeper.

On 28 minutes Glebe keeper Kane was shown the red card when he brought down Stephen O’Neill as the home striker ran through on goal. Mark Cooling gave replacement keeper, midfielder Gareth Clyde no chance with the spot kick.

New Bangor signing Paul McDowell hit the goal of the match three minutes after the restart, slamming a 25 yard volley into the top left corner.

Clyde again had to picked the ball out of the net on the hour when Mark Cooling’s 19 yard volley took a wicked deflection off defender Alan Shepherd into the net.

Seconds later McDowell fired home Bangor’s fifth goal from Grant Gardiner’s corner for Bangor’s fifth.

New signing Gardiner, who had an impressive debut, was himself on the mark on 63 minutes, firing home after Jordan Forsythe’s shot had rebounded off the upright.

Two minutes later Forsythe completed a four man move involving sub Andy Hall, McDowell and Gardiner to shoot home from 13 yards.

Glebe’s consolation goal came right at the end of the match courtesy of home defender Brian Hylands, who deflected a cross from Glebe sub. Warren Morrison into his net.

Bangor: Cairnduff, Wray, Hylands, Youle, Nixon, Walsh, Forsythe, Cooling, (68 Hall ), McDowell, O’Neill (46 Boylan), Lambe (46 Gardiner). Subs not used: Morrow, Long.

Glebe Rangers: Kane, Morrison, Hume, Shepherd, Nicholl, Clyde, Marks, Kennoway, D McVicker (Campbell), A McVicker (61 White), Henry (83 Morrison).

Referee: Stephen Taylor (Belfast)