Coleraine get first win of season against Warrenpoint

Coleraine's Gary Browne(left) celebrates after he score to make it 0-2
Coleraine's Gary Browne(left) celebrates after he score to make it 0-2

Warrenpoint Town 1

Coleraine 3

Coleraine picked up their first win of the season and condemned Warrenpoint to their fourth defeat in the spin as they eased to victory at Milltown following a frantic early start to the match.

It was 2-1 to Oran Kearney’s men with just 14 minutes played after Harkin and Gary Browne had put them 2-0 to the good before Dermot McVeigh pulled one back. It was an edgy second half affair until David Ogilby headed home to seal the win for Coleraine.

The Bannsiders took the lead on four minutes when Ruairi Harkin drove in a vicious free-kick from 35 yards that dipped and curled away from Warrenpoint keeper Johnny Parr before nestling in the bottom right hand corner of the net.

Things got even better for the visitors just six minutes later when they doubled their advantage with a well worked moved that was finished off by Gary Browne. Neil McCafferty’s ball over the top set Harkin racing clear after he beat the offside trap and after scoring the first, he set up the second, cleverly pulling the ball back for Browne to sidefoot past Parr.

However, the home side got back into it a minute before the quarter hour when Stephen McDonnell whipped in a corner from the left that wasn’t dealt with by Coleraine keeper Eugene Ferry and Dermot McVeigh was on hand to crash the ball into the roof of the net from point blank range.

Town had a big shout for a penalty on 27 minutes when left wing back Mark Hughes cut into the area and appeared to have been hauled to the ground by Adam Mullen but Referee Keith Kennedy waved away Warrenpoint appeals.

After Stephen Hughes had fired wide on the half hour he went much closer eight minutes later when, after a neat turn just outside the box, he cracked in a superb shot from 25 yards that beat Ferry but came back off the inside of the left hand post before being cleared to safety.

However, Coleraine all but made the points safe with 12 minutes remaining when David Ogilby got on the end of a Neil McCafferty corner from the right to power a downward header into the bottom right corner.

Warrenpoint Town: J Parr, King, McDonnell (D Hughes 61), McVeigh, S Hughes, McCabe, Bagnall, M Hughes, Moan, Breen (Havern 81), Boyle

Subs not used: Gargan, Smith, Grant

Coleraine: Ferry, Hegarty, Ogilby, McCafferty, Browne, Harkin, McGinty, Canning, Watt, Mullan, Parkhill (Moore 90)

Subs not used: Lindsay, Findlay, McDowell, Barton

Referee: Keith Kennedy (Belfast)