Donegal Celtic manager Pat McAllister promises changes in January transfer window

ON TARGET: Glentoran's Richard Clarke
ON TARGET: Glentoran's Richard Clarke

Donegal Celtic manager Pat McAllister admits he can’t wait until the January transfer window opens!

The ailing Wee Hoops slumped to their 14th defeat of the Premier League campaign after his mauling by Glentoran at the Oval, which finally snapped McAllister’s patience.

Goals from Richard Clarke, Jimmy Callacher, Mark Clarke, Stephen Carson and an Andy Waterworth penalty made it another miserable day at the office for Celtic.

McAllister roared: “I need players that have the same fight and hunger every week – something we don’t have at the minute.

“It has gone beyond making me angry. I just can’t wait to get in ‘my’ players, so that I can be judged on my team. It’s something I wanted to avoid saying, but I inherited this current group of players.

“It’s now my job to get a lot of them out of the door, come January 1. I probably require more changes that I first thought.

“The finances are tight, but I was aware of that when I took over. I want players to come in and play for the shirt – not for money.

“Certain people will be given the opportunity of playing at the highest level of football in this country – it’s up to them to take it.”

Midfielder Richard Clarke fired the East Belfast team into the lead on 25 minutes – his volley ballooning the net before goalkeeper John Connolly could even move.

Callacher added a second seven minutes later, superbly finishing off a pin-point Stephen Carson free kick. The midfielder’s header looped agonisingly over the hand of a despairing Connolly.

Mark Clarke grabbed a killer third goal for the home team on 71 minutes, stabbing the ball in from two yards after Callacher’s header was saved by Connolly.

Carson capped an impressive afternoon’s work by curling home the goal of the game 60 seconds later.

Celtic’s day of torment was complete moments later when Mark Miskimmin blasted a penalty kick against the crossbar.

Waterworth finished the demolition in last minute by converting a penalty kick after Jim O’Hanlon was bundled over by Kevin Keegan.

“This defeat was simply embarrassing – it was shocking to watch,” added McAllister. “We gifted Glentoran victory. Once we went a goal behind, our heads dropped. I just don’t think this group of players are mentally strong enough to come to the likes of the Oval and Windsor Park to get a result. We actually could have been beaten more than five.”

Glentoran manager Eddie Patterson saluted his boys for grabbing their biggest win of the season.

“The most important thing was picking up the three points to keep us in the mix,” he said. “The boys worked really hard in the Boxing Day game against Linfield. It was important they picked up from where they left off at Windsor Park.

Patterson intimated the he would not be active in the January sales, adding: “We’ll not be doing any business unless we can get someone out of the door. My hands are tied because of the financial situation at the club.”