Eagles soar as unbeaten run carries them to title

Armagh City FC winners of Championship Two
Armagh City FC winners of Championship Two

Armagh City have done what Liverpool couldn’t going fourteen games without defeat to seal the title.

The Eagles haven’t faltered. They have blown away the opposition over the last few weeks to be crowned Championship 2 kingpins and take their run of league wins now to an amazing fourteen wins in a row, equating to seventeen without defeat stretching back to the 17th November last year. And with one game still to play they could increase their tally.

Their superb campaign was rewarded last Tuesday evening at Holm Park when they defeated Banbridge Town 4-0 to clinch the league title having already secured promotion the week before. And on Saturday they reached that landmark winning sequence with a 3-1 win over Portstewart.

City rested several senior players on Saturday as manager Mattie Rice prepared his side for their Intermediate Cup final clash with Bangor at Mill Meadow, Castledawson this evening with a kick-off 5.15pm.

Armagh opened their account on 12 minutes when striker Stephen Murray finished off his 30-yard run, slipping the ball wide of onrushing ‘keeper Joel Madison.

Ten minutes later it was 2-0 when a poor kick-out from Madison was collected by City midfielder Eamon Kelly who fired the ball into an empty net.

Philip Donnelly cut in from the left on 65 minutes to grab the third.

Portstewart grabbed a consolation goal in the 85th minutes when Daniel Austin tapped the ball home.

PSNI also ensured promotion to Championship 1 next season as they narrowly defeated Banbridge Town at Crystal Park.

Mark Teggart gave Town the lead but on 49 minutes an Anderson free-kick levelled matters.

With 12 minutes left on the clock another brilliant free kick decided the outcome of the game when Ryan Berry fired an unstoppable effort high into the top corner.

The win secures second spot three points ahead of nearest challengers Queens University who doomed Killymoon Rangers to bottom spot by a 2-0 score-line, but the Police have a vastly superior plus forty goal difference.

Elsewhere the United’s of Ballymoney and Annagh played out a 3-3 draw at the Riada Stadium whilst Sport & Leisure Swifts had a valuable 1-0 away win at Wakehurst which lifts them of bottom spot and in a typical end of season performance Tobermore United and Newington registered a scoreless draw.