Tommy Wright revels in Scottish Cup final victory

St Johnstone celebrate winning the William Hill Scottish Cup Final
St Johnstone celebrate winning the William Hill Scottish Cup Final

Manager Tommy Wright was delighted as St Johnstone made history after winning the William Hill Scottish Cup for the first time with a 2-0 victory over Dundee United at Celtic Park.

The Saints, appearing in the first Scottish Cup final of their 130-year history, broke the deadlock just before the break as Steven Anderson rose at the far post to head home David Wotherspoons’ corner and give his side a 1-0 half-time lead.

Steven MacLean struck their second with just over five minutes of the match remaining as he collected Stevie May’s cross, collided with Tangerines goalkeeper Radoslaw Cierzniak and hooked the ball free and into the back of the net to make it 2-0.

“It’s absolutely incredible,” Wright said.

We did think a long way back that we could win it this year.

“We thought it could be our year and it’s turned out to be and I’m so proud.

“The support we’ve had here today, the chairman in the stands there.

“A lot of people couldn’t be here but have supported St Johnstone over the years and would have loved to be here.

“I’m just so proud of the players as well. What an effort they put in, what an effort they’ve put in all season for me.

“They’ve been playing competitive football for 10 months and still going strong and I’m so, so proud of them.”

When asked how it feels to be a ‘legend’, Wright was humble in his response, adding: “ I don’t like that word, I’m just doing my job.”

He then sent out a message to his parents, saying: “Hello mum and dad. I hope, mum you’re keeping an eye on dad and I’ll see you next week.”

Stevie May also believes the Saints deserved their triumph as they now embark on a Europa League qualifying campaign.

“It’s incredible,” he claimed.

“The group of boys here and what we’ve done this season has been outstanding.

“We’ve topped it off. We started unbelievably well this season and we’ve managed to do the same at the end as well.”

Eight minutes after the break, 21-year-old forward May, who was looking to add to the 27 goals he has scored to date this season, had an effort ruled out for handball as he attempted to double St Johnstone’s lead.

In response to the handball, he said: “It was in already, I think. I thought it was already in and it just came back and I thought it had crossed the line before I touched it.”

“It was more of a reaction rather than an attempt to score with my hand.”