Glentoran manager Eddie Patterson airs ‘relief’ after win

Glentoran's David Howland takes on Ballinamallard's Danny Keohane
Glentoran's David Howland takes on Ballinamallard's Danny Keohane

Manager Eddie Patterson admitted he was “relieved” to reach the end of a horrible week at crisis club Glentoran.

It was business as usual on Saturday after the players took a stand by not turning up for midweek training – following the non-payment of wages for TWO months.

But with their cheques for October tucked into their back pockets – and the promise of more to come – they did their bit on the pitch against Ballinamallard United.

Goals from Richard Clarke and David Howland helped bag three Danske Bank Premiership points, with James McKenna replying for The Mallards.

The Glens’ squad had the full backing of Patterson and his back-room staff in their controversial stance this week.

“If anything it has made us stronger as a group because we are all in this together,” said Patterson. “The lads had to take a stand and I applaud them for it.

“The decision not to train wasn’t a strike or boycott. It was basically down to economics. If you can’t afford to put petrol in the car, you can’t travel anywhere.

“We have a lot of young lads who are at college and they rely on the cash they earn from football. For some of the senior guys, it’s their main source of income.

“So, when there is no money coming it, especially at this time of the year, everyone, including their families, is affected.

“They were not paid for two months. In any other job, that would not be acceptable.

“There is no disguising the fact that it has been a tough week. It’s probably the lowest point of my time in management.”

Patterson admits he has “no regrets” moving to a club that has a legacy of financial problems – he replaced Scott Young last February.

“I’ve no regrets about taking the job – this is a fantastic club,” he added.

Even though they hadn’t trained this week, the Glens roared from the blocks against United with Clarke’s weak shot creeping in at the base of the post after only six minutes.

They doubled their advantage on 18 minutes with Howland forcing Colin Nixon’s knock back over the line.

United, however, bounced off the ropes and hauled themselves back into contention when James McKenna’s shot looping in at the far corner on 32 minutes.

United gaffer Whitey Anderson insisted his boys were caught cold at the start.

“We were asleep for the first 20 minutes.” He said. “But once we started, we played some good football and created good chances.

“The bottom line is, if you don’t take you chances at this level, you don’t win football games.”