Holders Cliftonville ease through in League Cup

Cliftonville's David McDaid with Wakehurst's Niall Swann
Cliftonville's David McDaid with Wakehurst's Niall Swann


Conor McLaughlin at Solitude

Cliftonville stormed past the challenge of Wakehurst at Solitude last night with a six-goal show to blow their Championship 2 visitors out of the water.

The holders were ahead inside a minute thanks to a sizzling strike from Davy McDaid, who - like team mate James Knowles - would end the night with two goals to his name, with Joe Gormley and Martin Murray also on target during a contest which was predominantly played out in the visitors’ half of the pitch.

After McDaid’s incredible opener, Cliftonville saw a host of chances come and go before Knowles doubled their lead with a cool close-range finish ahead of Gormley lashing home from the penalty spot following goalkeeper Aodhan Tolan’s foul on the striker.

McDaid made it 4-0 in the opening minutes of the second-half with a back-post conversion after Murray had flicked on a Tomas Cosgrove cross, while Murray would himself hit number five thanks to some fine build-up play from young Reds substitute Jay Donnelly.

Knowles’ second of the evening - a firm drive from the edge of the area - came on 73 minutes and, though that would complete the scoring, Cliftonville threatened to extend their tally further only for the impressive Tolan to keep Knowles, Jude Winchester and Chris Curran at bay.

Wakehurst remained committed until the final whistle and, having threatened through Andrew Laughlin and George Young during the first-half, almost claimed a consolation strike but, after being played through by Conor Gregg, Laughlin was unable to steer his low drive the right side of the post.

CLIFTONVILLE: Brown, McGovern, Scannell, McDaid, Garrett, Knowles, Seydak, Winchester, Gormley, Murray, Cosgrove. Subs: Johnston, Curran (for McDaid, 61 mins), McMullan (for Garrett, 75 mins), Catney, J Donnelly (for Gormley, 61 mins).

WAKEHURST: Tolan, R Young, Price, Muir, Swann, Laughlin, Crawford, Melon, G Young, C Gregg, R Gregg. Subs: Cairns, Kirkwood (for G Young, 54 mins), Stevenson, Colville, Millar (for Melon, 77 mins).

REFEREE: Evan Boyce (Comber)


Ray Sanderson reports

Premier League side Ballinamallard United recorded an easy 5-0 victory over Championship Two side Ballymoney last night.

They got off to the best possible start when new signing Anthony Elding put them ahead from the penalty spot before midfielder David Kee added a second midway through the half.

Central defender Steve Feeney pushed forward early in the second half, and broke into the penalty box before slotting under the advancing keeper.

Centre forward Elding made it four soon after when he added his second. The Ballinamallard hitman could have scored a hat-trick, but missed his second spot kick of the night.

Before the end Johnny Lafferty guided a neat free kick, with the help of a strong wind, which flew past the home keeper.


Ards triumphed 4-1 over PSNI thanks to James Cully TWICE scoring penalties and strikes from Neil Dougan and Josh Cahoon.

Niall Currie’s men went a goal down after 12 minutes, yet PSNI were reduced to 10 men after Owen Moody was shown a straight red for a challenge on Cully, leaving Ards to stage their comeback.