Institute move top after home victory

H&W Welders Mark Maginnis  in action with Limavady's Ryan Mullan
H&W Welders Mark Maginnis in action with Limavady's Ryan Mullan

Institute moved to the top of the league with a 2-1 home win over Lisburn Distillery.

The Drumahoe outfit, who are unbeaten in the league this year, took the lead through Michael McCrudden on 18 minutes but Distillery’s Kris Pike equalised five minutes later.

In the second half Stute pressed for a winner and were rewarded on 66 minutes when Stephen Curry bagged what proved to be the winner.

Carrick Rangers slip to second place as Dundela inflicted a 1-0 win over them. Owain Beggs scored the solitary that secured all three points.

The Duns have three games in hand over the leaders and sit in fourth place four points of the pace.

The Welders recorded a 3-0 win at home to Limavady. All three goals came in the second half with Cockcroft hitting two, one either side of Devine’s strike.

Elsewhere Knockbreda beat Donegal Celtic 4-1 and Loughgall drew 1-1 with Dergview at Lakeview Park.

In Championship 2 the PSNI kept their grip firmly on top spot with a 5-1 demolition of Ballymoney United at Newforge.

Ballymoney took an early lead when on 5 minutes when Gillan lobbed the ball home from the half way line.

The police were back into the match when Peter Steele’s low strike left the Ballymoney keeper helpless. Stephen Leitch made no mistake to give the Police the lead and in the last ten minutes Robbie Knox scored.

Dobbin was brought down in the Ballymoney box and substitute Mark Anderson converted from the spot. Two minutes later Steele went on a trademark solo run from midfield, side stepping anyone who got in his road to score his second of the afternoon.

Annagh United were 3-0 winners away to Glebe Rangers. Scott McCordick opened the scoring before a Jamie Gardiner special doubled the lead.

Shea Campbell sealed the win with a composed finish late on.

Tobermore United had a fine victory over Wakehurst running out 3-2 winners at Mill Meadow.

Gareth McLaughlin found time and space on the edge of the penalty box and rifled in a half-volley past the unsighted Marc Maybin. United doubled the score on 52 minutes when a deep free-kick found Dayrl McGee at the back post and his header back across goal was turned into the net by Steven Lyons.

The visitors struck again after 75 minutes. McGee broke free on the left and his drilled pass across the 6-yard box was met by substitute Glen Clarke. Ryan young ’81 and Andy McLaughlin ’85 pulled two back to set up a thrilling finish.

Banbridge Town entertained Sport and Leisure Swifts at Crystal Park. The game ended in a 1-1 draw but in a unconvincing performance.