IRISH LEAGUE: Paul Millar hails ‘perfect’ Glenavon after emphatic win over Portadown

Glenavons Ciaran Martyn wins possession from Michael Gault
Glenavons Ciaran Martyn wins possession from Michael Gault
Have your say

Glebnavon’s push to break into the top three continued with a “perfect” performance in the Mid-Ulster derby against Portadown.

Glenavon assistant boss Paul Millar said he was delighted with the win, coming off the back of a defeat on Monday night against Glentoran.

“We had a poor performance the other night against Glentoran but I think it was our first loss in 15 or 16 games,” Millar said.

“The boys have bounced back and from the first whistle to the last there was only going to be one winner. I thought we totally dominated.

“It would have been easy for us to come into today’s game with our heads down because we were poor by our own standards and the boys’ own high standards.

“I think from the first whistle we wanted it more and we were fitter and the result spoke for itself.”

Eoin Bradley found the net twice to bring his tally for the season up to 20.

It was his last appearance for a while as he begins a period on the sidelines with a suspension for accruing too many yellow cards, and that will be followed by a lengthy ban following his sending off against Crusaders last week.

“Bradley will be a big miss but Kevin Braniff has come in, scored a goal and set up a couple. Daniel Kearns can play up there as can Gary (Hamilton) and Fabio (O’Brien). Obviously we will miss him as he’s our top scorer but we have plenty of players capable of filling his shoes,” Millar added.

Glenavon took the lead when Braniff curled a free kick past David Miskelly from the edge of the box on 27 minutes, and doubled the lead on 35 minutes when Bradley tapped in a Cooper cross.

The Ports pulled a goal back on 65 minutes through Chris Casement, whose shot crept in off the post.

Bradley restored the two goal advantage when substitute goalkeeper Marty Marron spilled a long range shot from Braniff and Bradley made no mistake.

The Ports had Robbie Garrett was sent off for a second yellow card on 71 minutes, before Andy Kilmartin wrapped up proceedings with the last touch of the ball.

Ports assistant Kieran Harding said: “In the first half were as poor as we’ve been, we weren’t at the races at all.

“They’ve come out and bossed the game from start to finish.”