Late drama as Glenavon knock Glentoran out of Irish Cup

Glenavon's Kris Lindsay celebrates his strike against Glentoran
Glenavon's Kris Lindsay celebrates his strike against Glentoran


Drama in the final two minutes saw Glenavon book their place in the semi-finals of the Irish Cup on Monday night.

Trailing to Jay Magee’s first-half penalty, two late goals from Kris Lindsay and Guy Bates saw the Lurgan Blues knock out the holders at the Oval.

Lindsay powered home a header in the 88th minute, before Bates drilled a low shot in off the post in the final minute.

It all came after Magee had dispatched a penalty for the Glens in first-half stoppage time after Jordan Stewart had been upended inside the ox by James McGrath.

It was a dramatic turnaround from the Lurgan Blues who will now meet Crusaders in the semi-finals at Windsor Park on April 5.

Both sides had chances to break the deadlock before Magee’s opening goal in first-half injury time.

Jim O’Hanlon had two decent chances for the Glens before Andy McGrory tested Elliott Morris with a header in the 17th minute.

Morris then bravely denied Tiernan Mulvenna after Gareth McKeown’s rasping free-kick ricocheted off Shane McCabe.

The penalty arrived in first-half stoppage time, after Stewart tumbled under the challenge of McGrath after being played in by Scullion.

Magee held his nerve from the spot, rifling home the resulting spot-kick with aplomb.

Glenavon substitute Gary Hamilton almost levelled matters in the 75th minute, but the former Glens striker’s snap shot rebounded off Morris’ chest.

Morris pulled off two outstanding saves with three minutes remaining.

The Glens keeper tipped Hamilton’s low drive around the post before clawing McGrory’s deflected effort over the bar seconds later.

It would prove all in vain, as from the resulting corner Hamilton picked out captain Lindsay who powered a header in at the near post.

And there would be more drama to come with Bates’ dramatic winner in the final winner.

Rhys Marshall delivered a low cross from the right, and the ball found its way to Bates at the back post who drilled his shot in off the post.

GLENTORAN: Morris, Bradley, Magee, Addis, Henderson, Nelson (Boyd 80), Scullion (Kerr 59), Stewart, McAlorum, Allen, O’Hanlon (Miskimmin 90).

Subs not used: Hogg, Hughes.

GLENAVON: McGrath, Neill (Patton 62), Lindsay, Bates, McGrory, Marshall, McKeown, McCabe, Martyn (Rainey 85), Singleton, Mulvenna (Hamilton 62).

Subs not used: Kilmartin, McCaul.

Referee: Raymond Crangle (Belfast)