Linfield extend unbeaten run with victory at Glenavon

Linfield's Ross Clarke
Linfield's Ross Clarke


Matthew Tipton scored his first goal for Linfield as the Blues extended their unbeaten run to eight games at Mourneview Park.

The visitors could have gone ahead after three minutes through Mark McAllister, who had got the ball stuck under his feet, but he managed to force a save from Andy Coleman.

The home goalkeeper had to be at his best to stop another McAllister chance, this time a header from a Johnny Black corner.

The visitors took the lead just after the half hour mark. Michael Carville played Matthew Tipton through, but he was brought down by Kris Lindsay. Brian McCaul, who had spent the latter part of last season on loan at Mourneview Park, cooly dispatched the penalty.

Glenavon’s best chance of the first half came on 40 minutes. Marc Brown worked hard to get the ball through to Ciaran Martyn on the edge of the box. After sidestepping a Linfield defender he pulled the trigger to force a good save from Alan Blayney.

Tipton scored his first goal for the Blues five minutes after the interval after a fortuous ball made it’s through to the striker. A sidestep deceived both Lindsay and Marc Brown and allowed the former Portadown striker to slot home.

Martyn was then sent off for picking up two yellow cards, but Glenavon tried their best to battle on. Ciaran Doherty teed up young substitute Jude Ballard but his 25-yard effort floated over.

But it was another of the substitutes, Linfield’s Ross Clarke, who scored the pick of the goals on 83 minutes. Carville passed the ball to the edge of the box and there was a step over from McCaul, allowing Clarke to place the ball into the top right hand corner of the goal from 20 yards out.

GLENAVON: Coleman, McCallion, Turkington, Haughey, Lindsay, Doherty, Kilmartyn, Martyn, McGrory, Bates, Brown. Subs: McCashin, Mitchell (Turkington 55), Ballard (McGrory 67), Corrigan, McDaid (Brown 51).

LINFIELD: Blayney, Gault, Murphy, Carville, Burns, Tipton, Mulgrew, Watson, McCaul, McAllister, Black. Subs: Fordyce (McAllister 74), Brown (Tipton 88), Garrett, Ervin, Clarke (Mulgrew 74).

Referee: Raymond Crangle (Belfast)