Linfield march on in Europa League

Linfield's Ivan Sproule with B36 Torshavn's Odmar Faero
Linfield's Ivan Sproule with B36 Torshavn's Odmar Faero


(Linfield win 3-2 on aggregate)

Linfield edged into the second qualifying round of the Europa League following a 1-1 draw with B36 Torshavn at Mourneview Park on Tuesday night.

Michael Carvill’s first-half goal helped complete a 3-2 aggregate win for the Blues.

Adeshina Lawal bagged Torshavn’s equaliser from the spot in the 46th minute.

Warren Feeney’s side will meet Swedish outfit AIK Solna in the second qualifying round - with the first leg scheduled for Mourneview Park next Thursday.

Torshavn started brightly with Lawal and Lukasz Cieslewicz forging attempts on target which were easily gathered by Jonny Tuffey.

Linfield broke the deadlock in the 17th minute with Carvill on target.

Andy Waterworth crossed from the right which was met by Aaron Burns at the back post, and when he caressed the ball back into the middle there was Carvill to tap home.

Chris Hegarty kept Linfield’s lead intact in the 37th minute when he diverted Klaemint Matras’ goalbound effort wide.

At the other end Torshavn goalkeeper Tordur Thomsen denied Ivan Sproule and Waterworth in quick succession, and in first half injury time Waterworth cannoned a shot off the outside of the woodwork.

Torshavn were awarded a penalty less than 60 seconds after the restart after Tuffey was adjudged to have brought down Lawal inside the box.

Lawal held his nerve from the spot to lift his spot-kick pasty Tuffey - who was booked for his challenge - and level matters on the night.

Lawal had a late effort that sailed tamely wide and substitute Rasmus Sorensen headed wide of the mark late on.

LINFIELD: Tuffey, Richards, Hegarty, Haughey, Waterworth (Thompson 68), Lowry, Carvill (Callacher 86), Burns (Clark 72), Clarke, Mulgrew, Sproule.

Subs not used: Ross Glendinning, Morrow, Reece Glendinning, Quinn.

TORSHAVN: Thomsen, Faero, Askham, Jacobsen, L. Cleslewicz, Poulsen, Mellemgaard, Eysturoy, Matras (Sorensen 84), Thorleifsson (A. Cieslewicz 56), Lawal.

Subs not used: Eriksen, Danielsen, Joensen, Neilsen, Heinesen.

Referee: Thoroddur Hjaltalin (Iceland)