DCSIMG

‘Rangers could walk away from Scottish football’ says chief executive Charles Green

THREAT: Rangers chief executive Charles Green

THREAT: Rangers chief executive Charles Green

Rangers chief executive Charles Green believes the club should attempt to quit Scottish football if league reconstruction plans are approved.

On Tuesday the Scottish Premier League and the Scottish Football League agreed in principle to a restructuring plan that would see the organisations merge in a 12-12-18 structure.

If the new format was rubber-stamped for next season, Irn-Bru Third Division leaders Rangers would remain in the bottom tier of Scottish football regardless of any title success this term, albeit with the potential time frame for a return to the top-flight remaining the same.

Green told RangersTV: “I haven’t read anything other than what is in the press and if that is what we have sat here eagerly awaiting to transform Scottish football, my advice to the board of Rangers is the quicker we can leave Scottish football the better.

“I can’t see anything that is going to transform the finances, the status or the excitement.”

The SPL needs an 11-1 majority among its clubs but the idea has already been informally approved by all 12.

The SFL needs 22 of its clubs to back the plans, with a 16-10-16 plan previously being agreed unanimously by the 30 clubs.

Rangers, as associate members of the SFL, will not have a vote on the issue and on Tuesday expressed their unhappiness at not being invited to participate in the talks.

The article on the club’s website, written by new director of communications James Traynor, also described the reconstruction plans as an “abomination”.

 

Comments

 
 

Back to the top of the page