Warrenpoint and Bangor draw

Warrenpoints Liam Bagnall
Warrenpoints Liam Bagnall

Warrenpoint Town 0

Bangor 0

Warrenpoint Town and Bangor will have to do it all over again after the played out a hard fought draw in atrocious conditions at Milltown.

Referee Mark Courtney passed the pitch to play despite heavy rain on Saturday morning but the playing surface then became almost impossible as the longer the tie went on, the heavier the pitch got and that made it extremely difficult for either side to play any form of cohesive football.

Warrenpoint had two efforts in the opening five minutes with both Liam Bagnall and Stephen Hughes shooting wide from the edge of the penalty area before the visitors went close in the seventh minute through Stephen O’Neill. The former Cliftonville forward beat two defenders before firing in a shot from just inside the area that was held by ‘Point keeper Jonny Parr.

After Paudie Smith had shot wide at the other end, Bangor hit the woodwork on the quarter hour when Jordan Forsythe’s stunning volley from the right clipped the top of Parr’s crossbar. Warrenpoint were dominating possession and hit the frame of the goal three times in as many minutes as they searched for the opener.

Hughes’ low 25-yarder came off the inside of Paul Cairnduff’s post before Ruairi Devlin smashed the rebound off the outside of the other post when he should have hit the target on 28 minutes. Two minutes later, Hughes the rifled in another low effort that this time came back off the right hand post before being cleared for a corner.

Cairnduff had to come to Bangor’s rescue six minutes before the break when Smith’s diagonal ball eventually found its way to Timmy Grant just inside the box but the big Bangor keeper did excellently to save with his legs.

Garth Scates’ men spurned a fine opportunity to break the deadlock in the sticky conditions eight minutes after the restart when he found space for a shot from inside the area on the right. However, the striker could only scuff his shot wide of the right hand post.

Cairnduff had to be alert in the final minute of normal time to save with his legs as Warrenpoint substitute Daniel Hughes ran through on goal before the keeper collected the loose ball as the game ended scoreless.

Warrenpoint Town: J Parr, King, Mulgrew, Boyle, Cowan, Bagnall (Freeman 73), Smith, Grant (D Hughes 61), Devlin (M Hughes 61), S Hughes, Havern

Subs not used: Kearns, Moan

Bangor: Cairnduff, Wray, Hylands, Youle, Nixon, Walsh, Forsythe (Hall 41), Cooling, McDowell, O’Neill, Gardiner

Subs not used: Boylan, Long, Whitford, Gibbons

Referee: Mark Courtney (Dungannon)