Woeful Derry City crash to heavy defeat to St Patrick’s Athletic at Richmond Park

Christy Fagan celebrates scoring the second goal of the game for St Pat's
Christy Fagan celebrates scoring the second goal of the game for St Pat's

New signing Philip Lowry will have been scratching his head on Friday night following his new club’s hammering in Dublin.

Facing reigning champions St Patrick’s Athletic, Derry City were brought back down to earth with a dismal display at Richmond Park.

St Pat’s striker Christy Fagan bagged a classy hat-trick on the night, including two in the opening 20 minutes.

And it got even worse for the Brandywell club in the 21st minute when they sensationally conceded a third goal following a set-piece situation.

Pat’s floated over a corner from the left before striker Conan Byrne was presented with a free header and he took full advantage from 12 yards when heading firmly home.

The visitors should have reduced the deficit when Barry McNamee was presented with a clear-cut opportunity but Pat’s keeper Brendan Clarke produced a superb one-handed save.

Following the change of ends, Shane McEleney brought down Forrester and from that free-kick St. Pat’s twisted the sword with a fourth goal, Conan Byrne heading Killian Brennan’s cross home.

Derry pulled a goal back in the 60th minute when Michael Duffy crashed a shot to the net but Derry conceded again in the 72nd minute.

In what was another gift, keeper Doherty appeared to hesitate following a backpass and the lively Fagan closed him down to block the clearance, compose himself and gleefully slide the ball home.

Rory Patterson netted Derry’s second goal to make it 5-2 but it was a mere consolation.

St. Pat’s: Clarke, O’Brien, Hoare, Brown, Birmingham, Fahey, C. Byrne; Chambers, Forrester (Lynch 74), Brennan; Fagan (Quigley 74).

Derry: Doherty, S. McEleney, McBride, Barry, Jarvis, Ventre (McGovern, 62), Molloy, P. McEleney, McNamee, Duffy, Patterson (Boyle, 85).

Referee: P. McLaughlin (Monaghan).