Ulster’s AIL top clubs found wanting

UL Bohs Kevin O'Byrne in action against Dungannon

UL Bohs Kevin O'Byrne in action against Dungannon

Ballynahinch couldn’t build of their first victory of the season last weekend against Garryowen as they suffered a sixth defeat of the campaign as they went down 25-18 at Dolphin.

With one side automatically relegated from Ulste Bank Division 1A and the second bottom team going into a playoff, Hinch picked up yet another valuable bonus point and are seven points clear of the basement club Garryowen who are still seeking their first win.

Hinch are three points behind eighth placed St Marys and face leaders Clontarf on Saturday at Ballymacarn Park.

Hinch travelled to Cork boosted by the return of Ulster prop Paddy McAllister who started the game on the bench.

Dolphin took the lead with a penalty from out half Rory Scannell , Hinch drew level with a penalty from Ulster full back David McIlwaine.

Ulster prop Kyle McCall gave Hinch the lead when he crashed over for a try but McIlwaine couldn’t convert.

Dolphin got there second try when they kicked a penalty deep into the Hinch 22, from the resulting lineout centre Cian Bohane touched down with Scannell converting.

Dolphin extended their lead to 19-8 at the break when winger James Kiernan scored following a cross field kick.

Dolphin had Darren O’Shea sin binned and Hinch took advantage with a try from Ross Adair with McIlwaine converting.

Scannell and McIlwaine kicked two penalties each in the close stages.

Meanwhile, It was a bad day for Ulster’s Division 1B clubs with all three suffered disappointing defeats.

Belfast Harlequins, chasing a four consecutive win lost to an added time try away at Shannon.

Adam Larkin’s side stay fifth in spite of the 13-9 defeat where they picked up a losing bonus point.

Two penalties from out half Liam Cambridge gave Quins a 6-0 lead.

Shannon out half Rob Guerin went over for an unconverted try but Cambridge landed a third penalty to give Quins a 9-5 lead at the break.

Gearoid Lyons kicked a penalty for the home side before full Luke O’Dea won in with an injury time touch down.

Malone’s run of bad form continued as they lost a six consecutive game going down 22-20 at basement club Trinity.

The losing bonus point keeps Malone a place and a point above Trinity although they are deep in the relegation quagmire.

The Gibson Park side fell behind to a try from Colt Carriaga but lead 10-5 at the break with Rudolph Benade kicking a penalty and adding the conversion to hooker Darryl Maxwell’s try.

Benade added a penalty but Jack Fitzpatrick went over foe a converted try for Trinity.

Michael Ferguson’s converted try put Malone 20-19 up but a Conor Kearns penalty won it for the students.

Dungannon are only two points above Malone as they fell to a 29-13 defeat to UL Bohemians at Stevenson Park.

In a game that produced six yellow card’s Ulster’s Peter Nelson landed two early penalties for Gannon but Bo’s lead 10-6 at the break.

Boh’s scored three second half tries before Stuart McCloskey got a late consolation for Gannon.




Back to the top of the page