Operators in talks about ‘reopening’ Barry’s Amusements site in Portush
A range of entertainment and leisure operators are in talks with the new owner of Barry’s in Portrush with a view to reopening the site as an entertainment complex.
Richard McCaig, director of Osborne King Commercial Property Consultants in Belfast, confirmed they are acting for the new owner.
It is understood that wealthy property developer and former Kentucky Fried Chicken magnate, Michael Herbert, bought the business in August.
It was widely assumed that Mr Herbert would redevelop the site, but Mr McCaig said he has been instructed to put the property on the market for lease.
He told the News Letter: “We had a private client who bought the complex recently, since then people have contacted us and have said they would consider doing something in terms of operating from the site.
“On that basis we have been asked to try and find a tenant and that might be short, medium or long term depending on what works for them.”
The agent which sold the property did so with a number of proposed schemes but no specific planning permission.
“A lot of people assumed the property would be redeveloped but my instructions are very clear,” Mr McCaig said.
“There are established entertainment and leisure operators there who are interested in operating from the site and we are going to explore that fully.
“Established operators are having conversations with us about reopening Barry’s in some form. They are certainly enquiring about the opportunity and discussing how they might take that forward.”
He declined to be drawn on how many parties had shown an interest but said “a number” of established leisure and entertainment operators have made contact.
“There are some from within Northern Ireland and some from outside,” he added.
Asked if they were all in the “funfair type of business” he replied: “The majority are in that type of leisure and entertainment side of things, yes.
“We are just putting the opportunity out there to the market. And if somebody thinks they can come up with a viable solution for that we are happy to talk to them.”
However redevelopment has not been ruled out at a later date.
“It still is an option, but if you are wanting to come in and operate from that site for the long term there is investment that is going to be made and people are not just going to make that investment if it is only a short term solution,” he added. “So we are happy to look at short, medium and long term solutions for somebody to lease the site from us.”
UUP Alderman Norman Hillis said he was “quite surprised” by the development, but added that it is “good news”.
He added: “There is nothing I would like more than Barry’s operating again in the future because I really thought it would just end up as apartments.”
He suggested that any tenant would not take the site on for only two or three years.
“I can well envisage that if someone wants to try and get planning permission for the site it could take some years to do so. But even in the short or medium term it would be a plus if Barry’s was to open again in some form.”
The 2.22 acres site includes around 31,500 sq ft of buildings located in the heart of Portrush.
Barry’s was opened over 90 years ago in 1926 by the Trufelli family and was widely recognised as Northern Ireland’s largest and longest-running amusement park.
On September 6, the Trufelli family confirmed that the Barry’s property had been sold and the business was set to close.
The equipment is the property of the former owners and does not form part of any leasing agreement.
A message from the Editor:
Thank you for reading this story on our website. While I have your attention, I also have an important request to make of you.
With the coronavirus lockdown having a major impact on many of our advertisers - and consequently the revenue we receive - we are more reliant than ever on you taking out a digital subscription.
Subscribe to newsletter.co.uk and enjoy unlimited access to the best Northern Ireland and UK news and information online and on our app. With a digital subscription, you can read more than 5 articles, see fewer ads, enjoy faster load times, and get access to exclusive newsletters and content. Visit https://www.newsletter.co.uk/subscriptions now to sign up.
Our journalism costs money and we rely on advertising, print and digital revenues to help to support them. By supporting us, we are able to support you in providing trusted, fact-checked content for this website.