2 metre rule remains in place in Northern Ireland as we exit lockdown - Health Minister Robin Swann confirms advice ‘has not changed’

The 2 metre rule remains in place in Northern Ireland, Health Minister Robin Swann has confirmed.

By Gemma Murray
Tuesday, 9th June 2020, 12:56 pm

Speaking in the Assembly Mr Swann said his department’s recommendation to the executive on keeping social distancing at 2m (6ft) remains in place.

The World Health Organization says that a distance of 1m is safe.

Some countries, such as France and Denmark, have already adopted this guidance.

Social distancing rules are observed in Belfast’s Ormeau Park at the weekend

Last week, Economy Minister Diane Dodds said it was an issue the executive would have to give thought to.

Earlier today Mr Swann told assembly members that advice from his officials had not changed.

He said reducing physical distancing to 1m would have “larger implications” for contact tracing, as contact of three minutes at that distance could pass on infection.

--

A message from the Editor:

Thank you for reading this story on our website. While I have your attention, I also have an important request to make of you.

With the coronavirus lockdown having a major impact on many of our advertisers - and consequently the revenue we receive - we are more reliant than ever on you taking out a digital subscription.

Subscribe to newsletter.co.uk and enjoy unlimited access to the best Northern Irish and UK news and information online and on our app. With a digital subscription, you can read more than five articles, see fewer ads, enjoy faster load times, and get access to exclusive newsletters and content. Visit https://www.newsletter.co.uk/subscriptions now to sign up.

Our journalism costs money and we rely on advertising, print and digital revenues to help to support them. By supporting us, we are able to support you in providing trusted, fact-checked content for this website.

Thank you,

Alistair Bushe

Editor