Reported in the News Letter on December 12, 1936: Curtain goes up at new theatre on Ormeau Road


Mr George B Hanna, KC, MP, will perform the opening ceremony at the new Curzon Cinema this evening. The proprietor of this fine theatre is Mr John Gaston, who has provided the Ballynafeigh district with a first-class place of entertainment.

The Curzon cinema is the latest to be designed by Mr J McBride Neill, of Ann Street, and it has the bold vigorous lines noticeable in all his cinema designs. It occupies a site on the Ormeau Road, close to the Ulster Cricket Grounds, where it replaces some old property, among which was the former Ballynafeigh National School.

The theatre contains 1,424 seats, in stalls and balcony.

The general decorative scheme is restrained and tasteful. The walls and ceiling of the auditorium are textured in plastic paint and speckled in various colours of metallic paint. Mr Eugene Mollo designed the handsome carpet which has been used all over the theatre. It has a ground of mauve-grey, and an abstract pattern. The seating is upholstered in jade green, a new departure in colour. The seats have silver-grey standards and backs and all are of the tip-up theatre type.

The stage is larger than in most cinemas and is of a size sufficient for the presentation of variety entertainments. It is lavishly draped, the front tabs being in Rose pink and the leg curtains and borders in diminishing shades of rose peach.