Reported in the News Letter on July 25, 1927: Impressive scenes in Bucharest as funeral is held for King Ferdinand

editorial image

The funeral service for the late King Ferdinand of Rumania was held at the Palace of Cotroceni at 8 o’clock yesterday morning. Three Archbishops, 12 bishops and 100 priests took part.

In dazzling robes of gold and silver, the clergy surrounded the coffin, while the Queen, the little King Michael, with his mother (the Princess Helena), the King and Queen of Yugo-Slavia, the former Queen of Greece, Prince Nicholas, Princess Ileanu, and Princess Hohenlohe knelt by the side of the coffin.

The service lasted for about an hour, and at 9 o’clock the coffin was borne on the shoulders of Generals of the Rumanian Army to the gun carriage which was to act as a hearse, and was covered with a large Rumanian national flag.

The carrying out of the coffin was signalled by the firing of 101 guns, after which the bells of 400 churches in Bucharest began to toll.

Immediately behind the coffin paraded the late King’s favourite white horse, draped in black.

The remainder of the immense procession consisted of troops and of high officials and deputations from all parts of the country, who wore a striking variety of national costumes.

The cortège took nearly two hours to pass. Hundreds of thousands of people thronged the six miles of the route from the Palace to the railway station from which the remains were conveyed to Curtes de Arges for burial.